rhodo in trouble.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by petals, Nov 8, 2012.

1. petals

petals Seedling

This summer we had no rain for 10 weeks so watering was essential, however one of our Rhodo's got neglected and I now see that the leaves on the top 2/3 of the bush are withered and I wonder if the whole shrub is dying. Any advice would be a great help. thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Summer droughts can be stressful on bushes, if the main branches are still alive the bush has a good chance of a comeback. Build a dam around the base, out to the drip line, this allows water to be directed to the root system, fill with water, you may have to do this a couple of times, watch to see how much of the effected bush returns. About a day should give you a good indication of the bush's viability.

Are the leaves just limp or are they turning brown? How large is the bush?

Jerry

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Petals, a quick and easy way to determine if it is alive is to scratch the bark with your thumb nail and see if there is any green underneath in the cambium layer or is it hard and dry as if it is dead? If it is dead I would suggest pruning it back to just above the dead zone for the winter. Don't cut into to green or "alive" section of the stem if you can avoid it, or you will invite fungus to grow in there over the winter. Otherwise any snow load may break the top out if you have a heavy wet snow in your area. Making a bigger problem to deal with in the spring.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great advice Carolyn. I hope your rhodo is still alive Petals and recovers to put out new growth in the spring.

Advertisement
  6. petals

petals Seedling

Thank you

Thanks to all for your valuable advice, we are hoping that we may be able to save this poor Rhodo.

7. gkwilsongardens

gkwilsongardens New Seed

I would prune it back to healthy wood ( that is if when you scrape the bark with your fingernail it's brown and not green underneath) and water with sequestrine every 2 weeks in the growing season. Mulch with well rotted manure also.