Rhododendron looks wilted

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Errol, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Errol

Errol New Seed

I have 2 rhododendrum's I planted this past april. Both has been doing good. I put compost and peat in the holes when planted. watered when the ground felt a little dry. the soil tested 5.5 acid. about a week ago I fertilized lightly with rhododendrum fertilize. about 3 days ago on one plant the leaves seem to wilt down. all leaves still very green and buds starting for next yr. no yellow leaves or brown leaves. here are some pictures, 1st 2 pics are of the plant in question the 3rd seems normal. any ideas or suggestions please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, my, that first one looks like ours when it's frost. I've no idea what may cause it, unless it's planted too deep. Rhodos like their roots surface-deep only. Also, they don't like constantly wet feet.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

One of mine did the same as yours Errol after constant heavy rain. When the weather dried up it my rhodie looked so much better. Maybe, like Droopy says, it simply doesn't like having its feet too wet.

5. Errol

Errol New Seed

rhododendron

thanks for the quick replies. they have been doing so well all summer. I thought I was watering them ok for I always check to see if trhe soil was dry or moist. One is doing really well the one in question sure scares me! I sure hate to lose it. thought about digging it up and checking to see if the drainage was ok. thanks again