RIP Sir Christopher Lee

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

This week we lost one of the greatest living screen legends, Sir Christopher Lee, who passed away at the age of 93. What a career he had, immortalizing Dracula on screen, going toe to toe with James Bond as the dastardly Scaramanga or facing off against Gandalf as Saruman in the "Lord of the Rings" series. I've always enjoyed his booming voice and magnificent screen presence. Personally I think his greatest role was as Lord Summerisle in "The Wicker Man". That movie still gives me chills.

But above all he came across as an absolute gent. RIP Sir Christopher, your work shall live on and inspire for generations.

S-H, marlingardener and Kay like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, he was good at portraying bad guys. It's really sad when members of the 'old guard' pass on, there is no one out there who can do the rolls the way they did them.

4. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

I was very sad to hear of his passing as well...he's one of my favorites along with Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, Peter Lorre and the rest of the old horror movie greats. He will certainly be missed...RIP.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was saddened to hear of Christopher Lee's passing. There will never be another quite like him. :(

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

A real mans man. He was among the espionage agents that helped to win WW II. Not that you ever heard him speak of it. The real deal.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A couple of trivia facts about him.....

When he was Knighted, he was excused by the Queen from having to kneel because of his age. I think he is the only one to get that privilege.

He wanted to play the part of Gandalf in the LOTR trilogy but was too old for the action the part required so he made a really Saruman instead. And he was the only person involved with the movies to have actually met and been friends with J.R.R. Tolkien.

He and his wife had been married almost 54 years

When people would ask him about what he did in WWII he would ask "Can you keep a secret?" when they answered "Yes" he would respond with "Good, so can I" A lot of what he did is still top secret.

S-H and Frank like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

let's not forget his role as Count Dooku in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith - A role which finally made him a very wealthy man. Yes he often played the part of bad guys. But let's not forget that he also played Jinnah, the father of Pakistan, (something for which every Pakistani will remember him very fondly)...

Frank likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple