Roasted Veggies are so yummy!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Tooty2shoes, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

After chatting with Carolyn about a roasted veggie recipe I have she said; Post it. So here it is.
    You can use pretty much any veggie with this recipe. Of course some veggies cook faster than other so I always take that into consideration. Once you have roasted veggies you will not want to go back to boiled or steamed. The flavor is so much better.
    Ok, enough said:
    Oven Roasted Veggies
    1-med yellow and 1-med red onion, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 in. pieces. Add these the last half of cooking time. Or they will get really baked to death.
    1-rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1" pieces.
    4 small turnips, peeled and cut in half(I personally have never used them in this recipe. But I have used beets and they turn out wonderful. I usually peel them and cut them into 1 1/2" pieces.
    3-med carrots, peeled and cut up into smaller pieces. If the carrots are smaller I just leave them whole. But if they are larger ones I cut them up in 1 1/2" pieces also.
    1-pound butternut or acorn squash, peeled and cut in 2" pieces.(I have never used squash because I do not like them very much.)
    12 ounces of brussels sprouts. :eek: Ok so I guess they must have bought them in stead of growing them. Or if you have a scale one can weigh them out. But really. It says to clean and trim them.

This is way more veggies than I use at one time. I usually do beets, carrots, and onions. After you get them all peeled and cut up I take an old cereal bag and put the veggies in there and add enough olive oil to coat them well. Shake, shake, shake.
    Then you place them in a single layer in a 13 x 9 pan and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. (the original recipe calls for putting 1-Tbl. spoon rosemary on them and also 2-tsp of thyme. I only use the salt and pepper as they are so yummy by themselves.)
    You can also put them on a cookie sheet. But I have found that they get a little on the dryer side when roasted in that. I guess if you covered them during the first half of the cooking time they would not dry out at all.
    I do not coat the roasting pan with oil. As I coat my veggie quite liberally with the olive oil that keeps them from sticking.
    You then roast them on the middle rack in a 450 degree oven for 25mins.
    Take out the pan and turn them over and continue roasting for another 15-25 min. until they are fork tender. At that time I usually add the onions as they cook up pretty fast. YUMMY!
    I need to go now and clean up the drool on my computer board. :rolleyes: Enjoy! :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds yummy! I do a similar recipe, but I put them on the BBQ :)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thank you Tooty! This is excellent. I am on my way out to pull my beets right now. YUM!

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Let me know how you liked them. :( My beets have been out of the ground for quite a few weeks now. Friday we will be going into the deep freeze. From 60 down to 30's and possible snow. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, us too. Snow is in the forecast for the weekend. MAybe I should pull some and can them.

7. ShelleyDN

ShelleyDN New Seed

I watched how the vegetables are roasted in a cooking show. The chef just used a pan for frying them for a while before tossing pre-cooked spaghetti noodles over them. The vegetables consist of red, green and yellow bell pepper, olives, tomatoes, garlic, onion, mushroom and basil leaves.

But Tooty, your recipe sounds good!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tooty, The vegetables were beautiful. Too bad I was too sick to appreciate them. DH and I got sick on Wed after going out to dinner with my sister for her birthday. BUMMER! I did eat some of the beets and they were good, but i didn't feel up to much. It is alarming though to pee pink pee :eek:.

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn that is a bummer for sure. Glad you where able to celebrate with your sister for her birthday thou.
    Funny you should say you got sick after you ate out. This past Sunday my honey and I went to Applebees for lunch. By 6pm I no longer had any lunch left. Sorry for that. But after I felt great. :rolleyes: I am thinking it was something I ate. So I threw away all the left overs we had brought home. YES, the pick pee is a bit shocking at first.
    Hay, if one eats more beets, maybe it would be more of a red color. You could say you were decorating for Christmas if you ever for got to flush the pot. :D