Rose bush branch in water, will it grow roots?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by margie12u, Mar 31, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Does anyone know if I put a branch of a rose bush in water will it grow roots.I broke of a nice branch of my bush and I put it in water hoping it will root, I don't know. :-?
    Thank you all Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum
    moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. DirtyDigits

DirtyDigits New Seed

omigosh! I can't believe I know something about this! (Excuse me.... this is my first post helping someone else on the Stew :stew1: )

You have to have rooting hormone (the package gives you all the instructions) to start a branch that has no root system. But be aware it may not flourish like your original if the original was grafted onto a different rootstock.

Frank and toni like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

D is absolutely right--a branch of a rose bush won't root in water. It needs rooting hormone, a medium (I use half vermiculite and half perlite) and a humidity chamber (plastic bag with holes, or a bottomless 2 liter clear plastic soda bottle with the cap off). The whole process can take several weeks.
    If your rose is growing on its own root (not grafted, and you can tell by looking about an inch above the soil line and if you see a knot or bump, it's a graft)it will come true to type. If grafted, what you get is :?: .

margie12u and DirtyDigits like this.