Rusted metal, orange wood...Remember the tractor hood?

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Jan 28, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Also found a small, old, red tractor hood and am now wondering if I really should have passed it up. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Randy and I took off early Saturday morning for parts of Texas a little south and west of here where we knew there was good junque picken's. I was really trying to keep myself on a strict budget, getting only things that I had a use in mind for. How boring is that? But I didn't spend more than $5 for any of the items so I'm really happy...except about passing up the tractor hood.

Sad thing was that the stores opened at 10, closed at 5 and there were 6 of them scattered across several miles so some shops got a shorter perusal then they should have, but that just means we have to go back. ;)

Getting the things photographed this morning I realized I didn't buy very much....I found plenty, but didn't buy much. :rolleyes: Randy has already offered a return trip next weekend to maybe get the tractor hood :-D

[​IMG]
    I love wooden boxes like this ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Orange box in use ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Just too cute to pass up ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    These will be on the buffet this spring with flower vases on them ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Old shovel head going to be part of the path edging ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Okay, I really don't have a place in mind but couldn't pass it up ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Picture this scene in your mind....an old minnow bucket filled with cement, a fishing pole set in the concrete and the fish hanging from the hook on the fishing pole...
    [​IMG]
    My Favorite find!! ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Now I need to find plants with names that go with that scene...something with fishy, watery, names. I am going to have a pot of water plants next to it too.

Frank, stratsmom, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'm looking forward to seeing the fishing pole configuration Toni. I think you did well on your trip. Will you paint the candle stand?

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I love the wooden box... great way to use it also.
    Oh that weather vane... I'd be tickled to have one. So... if you see someone sneaking around your garden in the dead of night....
    Okay... that fish is my fav too! I can't wait to see how you put that scene together.
    Now... go get that tractor hood!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh what do I like best? It's sooo hard to choose from the goodies you bought. I'm already thinking how I would decoate the candle stand for Christmas. I love the wooden box - so strong and practical. The hand made doilies are so hard to come by and look so much better than the machine made ones. The spade is going to look good in the garden and, lastly, the weather vein is something I've always wanted.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

The weather vane and the fish are my favorites of all your finds.
    Pickin and junkin sure are fun !

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup those are some good finds. I also love to go treasure hunting. You could paint your candle holder to look like a birthday cake. My favorites are the fish, and weather vane. Hope the tractor hood is still there. :stew1:

8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Great finds. Those are things I would have gravitated to also; especially the wooden box.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have the perfect spot for that weather vane Toni - just in case you don't find a spot for it ;)

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Off again tomorrow morning....

We are going to see if the tractor hood is still available. If not, then it was not meant to be.
    There were also some old wood framed screen doors for $10 each that I wish I hadn't passed up last time. And we should have more time to wander through the last store we went to two weeks ago but ran out of time. It also has been visited by American Pickers...not sure why, it's nothing like some of the places they go but they do have some interesting things.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

More cool stuff Toni. I love that rooster weather vane... I would not have passed that up either.

I have a couple of wooden boxes that I am trying to decide on what to make with them. One is an old tool box, with part of the lid missing. One is an old file drawer for a tiny chest... and the other is a tiny flat felt lined box. I think the big tool box will be a planter of some kind, and the drawer will probably be a planter too.

I almost forgot those doilies. They are lovely. I have a collection of small ones that will be snowflakes on a snowflake quilt one of these days. And I have larger ones for around my home.