Sad to have missed the spring crops.....Still time?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Red Audrey, May 23, 2016.

1. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I am getting together my list of what's going to go in this year. I'll be heading off to buy mostly seedlings since it's past time for starting seeds for things like tomatoes and peppers and eggplant. ***I am wondering if I still have time for some things like lettuce, chard, beets, radishes. ***** I have never planted them so late. Is it worth trying? I am in Northern Virginia.

I am going to get seeds for runner or pole beans and maybe squash, but I worry about direct seeding into this cold wet soil that has so many weeds newly tilled under. If there are plants available, I might go for those as seedlings also.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Lettuce, chard, beetroot and radishes can still go in in my opinion. I think that at your stage, buying in seedlings to plant is a good idea.
    Good luck.

Red Audrey, Tooty2shoes and carolyn like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with Sjoerd... plant the radish,lettuce and chard.. they are pretty cold hardy and get plants already started for the rest. Squash could go either way... I see plants that rare overgrown for sale and seeds in cold soil are a maybe germination, but if you wait til it is a bit warmer put in seeds or start a few in some pots they only take a few days to germinate. I try to plant those with only one true leaf emerged. If the plants are root bound in the packs you buy they may struggle to be very productive. At least I have never had success with rootbound squash....

Red Audrey likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sure you have time. I can plant now in Texas and am currently getting a second planting on some things.
    Will just have to watch the water situation during dry times.

Red Audrey likes this.