Sage propagating itself

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Mar 17, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have two pots of culinary sage that we overwintered in the barn. When I took them outside today I noticed that both pots had a stem that had laid down on the soil and developed roots. This hasn't happened before, and I don't quite know what to do about it. I've intentionally taking sage cuttings and rooted them, but I knew how much root structure they had, and I didn't have to cut them from a growing plant.
    Can anyone tell me how/when/if I should separate the new plants from the "mama" plants. I'd certainly appreciate any advice, because I think I know of at least two good homes for the babies to go to.

Henry Johnson and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Farmer Deb
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had other plants root that way....Heuchera for example. Wait until there are a few healthy leaves coming up from the roots then cut it off and repot.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I just took a look and it seems there are five or six new leaves. I think I'll leave it for a week and then see if the babies seem ready to leave "home".
    The only other herb I've had do this stem-rooting thing is rosemary, which I've propagated by simply scratching the underside of a youngish stem, pegging it down into the soil, and being patient. I had no idea sage did the same thing!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

I've had sage do this same thing. I didn't need more plants, though, so I didn't separate it.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Update on the sage saga--there were three new plants which I removed from the mother plant and repotted. All three did well, and found new homes with friends. Now I need to peek under the rosemarys and see if any have rooted in--the same friends would like some rosemary. This herb thing is working out really well!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You will probably find many rooted stems of Rosemary to share, it's very good at moving itself across a bed that way.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

That is common with sage. Mine do the same. Stick one or two in with your flowers. Mine have a pretty purple bloom.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya MG-- Interesting posting here. I use this technique to propagate various plants and have always had good success. It is a technique that I call, "layering". The last time that I used it was to propagate a Clematis.
    It is remarkable that it just happened all on its own. Is that cool, 'er wot!

Congrats on your propagation. It looks like you will have lots of little plantlets soon for yourself and to give away....I wonder if the honey woman friend of yours will ask to come by and pick one up. ;)

Cayuga Morning and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ah, Sjoerd, she can ask, but will not receive!
    I did have rosemary starts, and each one found a good home. I also have an abundance of salvia greggii, which is not culinary but bees and butterflies love it, so I'll start trying to adopt those out, too.
    You can tell if a neighborhood is friendly if all the flower gardens contain some of the same plants. It shows that people talk to each other, and swap, and are generous!

Cayuga Morning and Henry Johnson like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG-- You are so right about plants in a neighborhood! My neighborhood has all the same plants from present & previous owners sharing. When we first moved in & met our next door neighbor (who was also new), we were surveying each others' gardens & discovered we had many of the same plants! Both being gardeners, we knew how that came about!

I am glad to hear you can layer clematis. I will try that. Presently I have some azaleas that have layered themselves & some rhodies. I am trying to layer my favorite rose. I'll let you know if I have any success with that.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right MG about plants in the neighbourhood.
    The Salvia greggii looks like a good one. I do not know it, so I shall read further about it.
    See-- once again so much can be learned on this forum. Thanks for the tip...I'm always looking for new plants to offer pollinators.

13. dyrne

dyrne New Seed

Yep I often set sage twigs that have broken off in a cup of water for a week or two to sprout roots then stick around the yard.