Score one for me!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Frugalkate, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

Now don't laugh, but times are tough and if something comes my way I'll grab it and try to make the best use out of it that I can.

Last week someone on my block threw out one of those preformed ponds. Problem is it has a couple of cracks in it. I was thinking of repairing it and was wondering what is the best product out there to do such a thing? My wate faucet pond in the front of the house sprouted a leak and I just lined it with a heavy duty black garbage bag and Viola! it worked like new, thinking of doing the same with this, but I also want to add a little more security by filling the craks with something so all that water dosen't come flowing out.

I would really love to put a water pond out in the back yard just below the wooden outhouse I have. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Frugalkate's Garden )

[​IMG]

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Shoot, no one is laughing here. We all would scavenge curbside if something was as neat as that pond. If you do it even in the good times then the tough times don't seem so tough. It is the ultimate in recycling.

The only idea I have is for you to close your ideas when I get there so you won't see me lugging off that outhouse. I LOVE that, been wanting one for years! Do you use it as a storage shed or just for show...not even going to ask if it is functional :eek:
    Maybe plant some Hollyhocks in front to one side, Hollyhocks are also known as the Outhouse Flower.

3. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

Thanks! No it's not functional lol! When I had it by the patio doors I used to put garden tools in it. Since I moved it up ontop of one of the tiered rock walls I weighed it down with about 200 lbs of cement blocks as it tends to get very windy out in the back and I didn't want it to get damaged. Took me a long time to find that little Outhouse (I've have had gusts that blew over the grill and the patio furniture) but I use it only for show now. I like the idea of the hollyhocks, I did just plant some black eyed suzies on either side of it though recently and I'm desperatly hoping that the "wabbits" don't eat them...they already got to a couple of other suzies and purple coneheads I planted at the same time at other locations in the garden. Those dang "wabbits"

[​IMG]

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

How big are the cracks? Have you tried a silicon caulk or gorilla glue? dr is putting silicon caulk around the new flooring in the bathroom and says water won't seep around it and make it come up.

We had a poond like that when we lived in Arizona. We had it in a corner where two rock walls met. We dug it in and then piled rocks around it and made a waterfall down into the pond and it had a pump that pumped the water back to the top. We had to put one of those pads that catch water from a rain spout under the rocks down to the pond to keep the water from going under the pond. It worked rather well. Are you going to put plants in it? or fish?
    I'd have another one if we didn't live where it's so flat.
    dooley

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Kate... I keep a tube of all purpose glue made by "Goop" on hand. I've sealed cracks in a plexiglass aquarium with it. No leaks so far! It's wonderful on plastic, wood, metal, glass... whatever!
    Depending on the size of the cracks... I bet it would work on the preform.
    Oh yeah... love that outhouse area too!

6. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

There is a black silicone that the pond guy used when they attached the liner to the skimmer, if the cracks are not to big that would work and not be visiable.

7. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

I tried some epoxy but it didn't work....next I'll try some of that gorilla glue or that black silicone that was mentioned. Maybe the pool place near me will have some of that stuff.