Screen saver question.

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by bsewnsew, Jun 27, 2007.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Any one know if the screen savers wear out ?
    Mine has been stalling on here for the first time.
    I put on a new one.....

Any help is appreciated....... :D
    I think the screen is 2 years old.. computer also .. Gateway..........the cow.

thanks for lookin in
    barb :oops:

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

No they don't Barb. Could you define "stalling" more exactly as it could be just a simple problem that is causing it?

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Stalling........Maybe the word is freezing up.

frank

Maybe I said it wrong.. The screensaver is in action, when it is on for a while, it freezes and stops right where it was.......Like my fish were in motion and stopped. I tried to get back to the machine and the whole computer froze.. So I end up having to flip the switch off on the plug .. Then when I restart it is ok.

Thanks for helping.

bar

5. arv

arv Seedling

Most likely a hardware problem . Some of these heavy graphics screensaver can make your computer freeze . Try a lighter screensaver , lesser real life graphics . If you don't have a problem it is probably the display adapter giving up on you .
    Does your computer freeze while doing other things or only with the screensaver ?

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Arv may be on to something Barb. If it's a hardware problem then it wouldn't necessarily be a screensaver that would cause the computer to freeze. Anything could trigger it. Does it ever freeze while you are working at it and the screen saver is not on?

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I put a lesser saver on now.

It hasnt ever froze for me........2 yrs old computer.
    I did change the screensaver to a lesser tipe.. I will have to check into the adapter .

Do you think the 85 degree temp may of bothered our phone lines? No usual for our area.

Thanks for helping.

barb

8. arv

arv Seedling

85 degrees shouldn't bother the phone lines but if the fan is not working too great it can heat up and cause the computer to hang . But since it hangs only with the screensaver I would like to hear the results of your test with some other screen saver . It could also be that some file got knocked off and something triggers off something that leads to the system hanging up . Did you install something recently ?

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

screen saver

Different screen saver is doing ok.

My internet server been on the bumm most of today..
    b

10. Frank

On a related note Barb I don't know where you downloaded the fish screen saver from (I think I know the one you mentioned however) but a lot of the time a free download like a screen saver can carry with it some rather undesirable software. This software can be installed quite sneakily on your machine and have been known to affect system performance. I suggest downloading and running Spybot to see what it finds.

11. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Another thing to consider is that many screen savers use 100% of the CPU when they're running. This can cause the CPU to overheat if it's not getting enough air. Most systems have two fans. One on the back of the machine and another on top of the CPU. Dust gets in, clogs the fan, and lets the heat build up. If you open the case you can see the CPU and use a soft, clean paint brush to gently clean it up. If there's no fan, there will be a large finned piece of metal to dissipate the heat. Brush it off (gently) and it will help keep the CPU cool.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

spyboot

Used Spybot......it said congradulation you had no spyware.....
    The screensaver been on the the computer since I owned it .....NO new softwares added.

Evilroy......

Is there anything inside the computer that will shock me if I open it ? OF course I will unplug it .
    It is gateway , I thin 2 years old in july.
    barb

Thanks frank and evil

13. Frank

Re: spyboot

Lucky you :D

I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself Barb. If you absolutely determine that it must be a hardware fault then a qualified computer repair person would be the path. I say this because firstly they would know based on the symptoms where to look first and secondly we don't want a fried Barb! I joke of course but you could actually damage the innards of the machine like the motherboard just with the static electricity from your body.

Better to be safe than sorry ;)

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Thanks

Frank

i know that is correct....I went to a few classes on comuter ....That was a no no then.. Is why I ask.

I won't go that route......
    I am trying re installing my software for the camera again.. Becauseit worked on the old computer, just now, and under a different program.. So I must hunt the re ins disk ..
    b

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Thanks on the computer stuff.. Back in business.

Thanks for helping with the computer stuff.
    Now the problem with the camera was, I think,..

Overloaded with pictures and files.....I had to delete a couple hundreds, and that part is working fine......
    Now just wondering if the overload was effecting the Screensaver??????///
    YOur comments please.

Thanks again.You great.

barb :-D

16. Frank

No they should have no effect on each other Barb, none that I can possibly think of anyhow. Are you still having problems with your computer freezing?