SD card question.

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by mart, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Anyone know why my computer will not read my SD card ? Was going to get some pics from it today and when I clicked to copy from camera or storage device, the box came up but it showed no pics. Have had this one for years,, should I just buy another ? Its a 1gb card. All else is working fine so has to be the card.

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You might want to take it to a drug store or one of those places with automated photo developing machines, and pop it in there. It's a simple way to test whether it's the card that's unreadable, or it's your computer that's unable to read the card.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Will do that. Thanks!

5. Busted

Busted New Seed

Well if you're computer isn't reading it, could be a few reasons.

- Drivers not installed or current
    - The format of the SD card is not compatible with the computer(drivers can again be this)
    - Forgot to format SD card and the pictures are saved to the camera
    - Certain services that are needed to read the card for the computer have been stopped

Also a tip with SD cards. Reformat the card to clear the existing photos over deleting them. This helps with upload times, stability, and life of the card. Don't reformat unless you're ready for those photos on the card to be removed, this means upload them to your PC or another storage device before reformatting. Oh, and don't store photos on SD cards as they are easy to damage which means lost photos.

I am thinking it's a formatting issue or perhaps a driver issue... then again the card could be dead.

Frank likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

The card has been used for 5 years. May just need a new one,, its only $14.