Secure you home..biggest improvement story below:

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by SusieQ07, Nov 15, 2008.

1. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Nov. 5th first occurrence, I heard male voices some laughing outside bedroom at 4 AM, next day evidence of vandals all over, broken flower pots...not ours cig. butts, empty coke bottles etc.
    Nov. 10th 12:15AM while lot's of outdoor lighting was still on, alarm system set, but not monitored, it is now!!!! again noise and voices outside, DH peeked out and saw men in dark hoodies outside, he said call 911 NOW, our phones were dead, they had butchered the lines, and were trying to open elec box which has a padlock on it, meanwhile, I grabbed cell phone dialed 911, police finally got here, saw damage brought canine, and bloodhound, tracked the 4 guys to a garage of a home, came back to tell us and said we are very lucky they had 2 guns and lot's of knives they meant business as in invasion/home robbery and stopping anything in their way!! our once peaceful quiet upscale neighborhood is no longer that, and cops told us people are desperate and crime is on the rise..we are still shook, and now have system monitored, and bought a gun, and are setting up a dusk to dawn light and siren by phone and elec boxes. Our neighbors are beefing up their own security as well, it's a different world folks, you need to secure your homes and protect what is yours..the police the 2 events were not related first was teen vandals, 2nd. older and prior felons.I am simply giving ya'll a heads up...okay? one night soon hope hubby and I can get a restful sleep???

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So sorry to hear about your frightful experiences.

We had our home alarmed after the break-in at my daughters house last year. I like the panic button feature, you hear someone outside hit the alarm and all H*** breaks loose outside with the siren and it calls the police.
    We don't live in an upscale neighborhood but no sense in taking chances no matter where you live.

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Exactly, the 911 operator said people are getting so desperate, no jobs, no money, no food, cops said crime rate is way up..I'm just trying to alert everyone!!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Years ago when I lived in south Florida the crime rate would spike severely in the fall when northerners were arriving for the winter season and again in the spring when they headed back north.

Another reason we wanted to get my Mom moved closer and into a safe place. An elderly lady living alone is usually a prime target.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm so sorry you've had such scary episodes. We've got an alarm system, but that's mainly because I freak out if I hear something outside when I'm home alone. We've never experienced burglaries in our homes, and I hope it stays that way.

6. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

We never have either but these are very different troubled times, economy is so very down, people so very desperate...Good luck!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That must have been so scary! Especially when the police found weapons!
    So far, my only security system is my dog.

8. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Netty two very good tips for you 1. keep your cell phone on nightstand at night. 2. if you have a newer car with keyless entry, keep keys on nightstand also, incase of prowlers, hit the panic button and let your car scream it's head off!! good idea for cars outside too, they are breaking into car's also..but it will work if car is in garage..

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am glad you are both safe...I would do the same thing...

10. Juliewells

Juliewells New Seed

So sorry for your such a bad experience but you faced it with courage, i also agree with your opinions about home safety but machines are machines and they can sometime fails in time of need

11. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Just noticed your reply, no machine failed here, but if your phone lines are cut,unless you have a wireless dialer as we have now, it can not dial your security co. Since at the time we did not have wireless dialer ,I called 911 with our cell phone, no police in immediate area so it took 14 mins. for them too arrive, we were 2 min. from break-in and possible death..some people have said dialer will dial if lines are cut, that is impossible! our sec. co. confirmed that. And all this took place with many lights on outside our home, they are very brazen today..

12. ntjones

ntjones New Seed

I've just come across this thread and I must say that it is quiet frighting.That even though you live in a quiet neigbourhood, this can still happen, I feel quiet lucky that I live in quiet a rural area, ok so there isn't much of a nighlife around it's a peaceful place and somewhere you would want to raise yoru children.
    I hope things are now better for you.

13. darcymac

darcymac New Seed

Yikes

Wow, I've never had to deal with problems in the area. worst problem my parents dealt with was the "neighborhood can man" he was harmless but would steal quite often if anyone left stuff outside and sell it off. even my spouse and I live in a rural area with no problems yet.(i'll keep the car alarm idea in mind though) but we still have protection. Everyone stay safe, and you never can go overboard with home and personal security.

14. Guido

Guido New Seed

That's still a good option

A dog is still one of the best security systems around. Many burglars will skip your home when they see that a dog is living there and most certainly will alarm the occupants.

15. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Our home was clearly posted as having security, with a sign out front and stickers on all windows including door they were about to break in,your all wrong about a dog, because the first thing they will shoot is the dog!! they care nothing about human lives why would they care about your dog?