Seed Catalogs

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Henry Johnson, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

The upcoming season's catalogs are beginning to arrive; received my first two in today's (30NOV16) mail.... Received one from Seed Savers Exchange and one from Seeds 'n Such..
    Hank

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Ewwwwwww........ yesssssssss! :) The anticipation :)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Seeds 'n Such arrived Monday, and I think I'll be ordering from them. Awaiting the others before I jump in and go seed crazy!
    I'm trying new suppliers this season--my old standby that I had ordered from for years went bonkers last year--fewer seeds per packet, poor germination, and a website that requires a map and backpack to navigate.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Yippee!! Winter reading at its finest! Fodder for a gardener's winter dreams.

And......for those of you that have psychic plants in the garden.
    If you show the now quite garden beds the catalogs, the psychic plants will send you signals in your sleep. You will wonder why you are ordering certain seeds.....but the plants know. :scheming:Did anybody believe that?

Jerry

P.S. I think it is going to be a long winter.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I can't wait!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have gotten two of them so far but just removed my name and address and threw them in the recycle barrel. By now they have begun their journey to a second life (or possibly a third or fourth if they were made from someone else's catalog, news paper or magazine that found it's way into a recycle facility in the past). Maybe they will return as another type of catalog or possibly even as a paper hat for some child's birthday party.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I usually just get PO`d looking at catalogue prices for seed. I have a blast sitting down with a good drink and going shopping on ebay. Seeds are about half or less cost and as good if not better. And if you have a question you can always email the seller.
    And they have everything,, vegetables, flowers ect !

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I admit to loving seed catalogues but I don't get any anymore as I am always tempted to buy but I'm not growing that much to warrant getting a whole pack of seeds every year. I did buy some Hellebore mixed seeds and that will be my effort for this spring and will be excited to see what turns out.

I also find that growing seeds takes lots of care. I forget to water and they're all gone or one whoops and they're all fungus'd or something soooo I've opted to cruise the different plant nurseries and buy what everybody else has planted and grown BUT I do remember (pre-internet days) the anticipation of the seed catalogues, the buying and planting :) :) Was definitely a happy anticipation :)

Philip Nulty and LIcenter like this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

August 7, 2015 012 (2).jpg I have too many flowers here and I do save my cosmo seeds for the next year so I don't have to buy any. Now with moving next summer I kind of have planned what I will be taking from here...about 12 daylilies and some of my small red and black coreopsis. Plus a few sedum, especially my black one. I have things so jammed pack full that there most likely won't even be an empty spot. Plus I have around 100 daylilies, I just kept saving them when I cut them in half or thirds. I think I am all set. All I will have to do is keep everything alive in containers until we move in around the end of August. I do really want to cut back and have more time to fish and watch all of the boaters .....Now I am trying to come up with a plan for where things will be. I do plan on taking my large containers with me, we paid too much money to just leave them so until they get cracked, etc. I will plant in them. It will be hard to give up all of my flowers, I have put a lot of hard work into these beds but I will come up with an idea of a WOW factor without a large bed...wish me luck

Philip Nulty and hummerbum like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, of course we wish you luck, and are very, very sure you will come up with a stunning and colorful flowerbed for your new home by the lake.
    The boaters will be parading by your place just to see the gardens--shoot, the fish may jump on shore just to get a better look!

Philip Nulty and hummerbum like this.
  13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wishing luck :) !!!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Since I'm late where did you go?
    I ordered a catalog or two yesterday...something about looking at those pictures!!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I wish you luck Sherry,..moving house is hard enough with furniture and everything else in a house,..flowers are sort of special as you looked after them and watched them grow and multiply in some cases,..its not easy leaving any of them behind then remembering them and feeling sorry you didn't include them in the move,..you can only do what is within reason then begin a new garden project with what you have.

16. kate

kate In Flower

I don't get many seed catalogs, certainly not in November. Too busy planning Christmas.
    Maybe in March or there abouts, maybe none at all because I tend to buy my plants at a local DIY store same time as I do my food shop at my local Sainsburys.
    In the summer David Austin sent out his rose catalog but thats because most roses are bought in winter.
    I also buy Amature Gardening magazine in summer and that comes with free seeds every week.
    K

Philip Nulty likes this.