Seed starting lights

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Brian1985, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

hey guys I'm building a seed starting sheep today and have some questions on lights? Are t8 or 12 better? I used 8 last year I believe but wasn't sure the guy at menards told me correctly. What wattage should I be looking for? Tia

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

T8 are better, T12 are older bigger take more watts for less light output

the higher the watts the better I guess... but look for the 6000K+ Color, this should simulate daylight, they will probably be labeled "daylight"

*Side Note* these lights are gr8 for starting seedlings but will NOT be good enough to grow FULL plants, there's nothing like the sun, so don't start seedlings too early. the recommended weeks before last frost from google is probably good.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

I use LED indoors. 10% of the power used by halogen or fluorescent. They are the ones that look sorta purply because it is a combination of red and blue. I've had really great success with these.

I used to have fluorescent and they did promote growth but these are even lighter and easy to raise and lower.

5. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

Where is the best place to order led lights? I need the bulbs to be 4ft long as my grow lights are 4ft

Advertisement
  6. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

I ordered the lights, ballast and all from TSC stores... let me see if I can find the SKU... 321406 I waited until they were on sale but you will probably find them cheaper anyways because Tractor Supply is a US company. :)

You also might find strings online. It's easy to hook the strings up - they use DC power directly rather than the AC plug in you find on the unit from TSC. I have solar panels that charge up batteries and then run lights and fans from the batteries.

Dirtmechanic and Brian1985 like this.
  7. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

I don't get the sku to work lori. I will try looking around on the website when I get home. Thanks for your help

Canadian Lori likes this.
  8. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

Brian1985 likes this.
  9. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

You arent kidding they are pricey. Is this just for bulbs or the light fixture also? And just 1 right? I can't tell from the write up. I'm just wanting led bulbs as I already have some cheap 16 dollar shop lights.

10. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

Yes, they include the full ballast, hanging hardware etc. I don't know if the stores sell grow led grow tubes. I would think if there is a bulb that would work, an aquarium shop would have them if Home Depot doesn't. I didn't get mine all at once. I've got two little indoor areas that are lit and each has 2 of the 4 footers and 1 2 footer. I had to leave a space beside the shorter ones so that I could lean in and adjust the heights as things grow. They have little hooks at each end and what I did was hung ladder tape (you know the stuff you see on venetian blinds to hold them evenly apart) and then I just move the hooks up or down the tape.

Brian1985 likes this.
  11. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I don't think you can change the led lights on the fixture once dead. they last longer, but it's like all built in together, and once dead you have to get a whole new one. that's what i heard anyway.
    its better then T8, it would be interesting to know just how much better.
    if your goal is growing hydro indoors then this light is a must, but if your only interested in growing seedlings... this light might be overkill.

@Canadian Lori are you using these lights to grow seedlings? i wonder if the my seedlings grown under T8 lights will be smaller then yours under LED lights.
    are the LED over kill for 4-6weeks old seedling or do you end up with a far better plant, it would be interesting to compare
    do you want to ... start pepper plants on march 1st, and take pics every ten days, ill do the same and we see if there's a noticeable difference?

Canadian Lori and Brian1985 like this.
  12. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

I'm thinking I will stick with t8 for this year and maybe look at the led next year. I need these lights by like this Sunday and can't justify the 150 dollars right now. But I really appreciate all your help Lori.

adam.ca and Canadian Lori like this.
  13. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

I grow more than just seedlings down there. I have herbs throughout the winter and also grow a cannabis plant now and then.
    The leaves on everything grown under these lights are a really rich deep green. Was startled by this.
    So right now I've just finished harvesting a bunch of herbs and now there will be room for whatever seeds have germinated. Then they go out into the garden in the spring and I usually shut down indoors from June through until about September.

@adam.ca I wouldn't throw one of these out until I'd taken it apart and tried to fix it. I believe I could buy just the LED's right out of China and replace them myself. I mounted strings of LED's one time on a yardstick and it worked great but was too flimsy for long term use.

hummerbum and Brian1985 like this.
  14. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

probably much easier to justify the expense of the light if you're growing something valuable under it :D
    hmmmmm, like @Brian1985 I'll stick to the less expensive setup for now.

15. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

Here is the growing shelf I built minus the lights Resizer_15476797036340.jpg

adam.ca, Kazzawazza and Canadian Lori like this.
  16. Canadian Lori

Canadian Lori New Seed

@Brian1985 I like your pergola. A friend of mine has one and if he's got company out there and it rains, he throws a tarp over it and they carry on enjoying the summer!

It's taken me years to accumulate my stuff and there weremtimes I overextended myself bu I don't regret taking those leaps. Health Canada gave me a licence to grow green 4 years ago and I stay organic in everything but killing weeds in my driveway!

I'm still a novice at growing but I've kept keen all these years so I guess it wasn't a casual hobby :)

hummerbum, adam.ca and Brian1985 like this.