Seed Starting Techniques

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by halfway, Feb 21, 2011.

1. halfway

halfway Seedling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KZj2goFE

I created this video for my blog after getting quite a few questions from folks new to gardening. It also shows What I am doing after a lot of trial and error, the search for the economical, tidy, efficient, and easy.

There are so many methods and techniques, this is only a handful.. As I state in the video and on the blog, techniques tend to be refined based on the need, the user, the time allowed, and the tools available. This is by no means the "only way".

I also started several batches of hot peppers under paper towels today as well. Can't wait to get those Tepins, Caribbean Reds, Habaneros and Portugal Hot rockin' down the highway, woot!!

Frank and DirtyDigits like this.
  2. Loading...

3. halfway

halfway Seedling

The first large batch of starts are in their 3.5 inch pits under the lights. The next batch to germinate will be some arbor climbing perennials and some wildflowers.

Another 7 weeks and these little beauty's will get to see the "real world". :p

4. DirtyDigits

DirtyDigits New Seed

I'm new to gardening and especially from seed. But being frugal I like the idea of more for less. I watched the video and have seen others on here talk about germinating in papertowels. My question is: how soon do you transfer the seedling to soil? Or the net pots if using that system? They seem to be very fragile.

5. halfway

halfway Seedling

DD, on "when to transplant", it depends somewhat on the plant. Tomatoes at almost an inch while lettuce at around half an inch.

If you wait too long, you may damage the roots in pulling them free from the towels. Not long enough and they may not have the headstart needed.

I never directly up-pot into the net pots, but get them into rockwool or another product (root riot plug etc.) for a few weeks under the lights.

I don't recall losing too many sprouts from the paper towels; just keep an eye on them daily. It happens quickly!!

Hope that helps.

DirtyDigits and SunyFreebird like this.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I like the paper towel starting method for many plants. As for transplanting, it helps to use cheap thin paper towels. The cheap thin ones will not interfere with the roots and you can plant paper towel and all without damaging roots. I did this with toms, peppers and gourds last year with great success. I do try to remove the paper towel but if the seeds get their fi45rst fine roots and you can't remove it without damaging them it works fine to leave the paper towel. Just trim it as close as possible and plant.

7. halfway

halfway Seedling

That is a very good point Fish (thin paper towels). Some of the "Bounty" thick-type towels will hold the roots to where they may break if you try and separate. I transplant with pieces of the paper towel attached and never had a problem.

Almost ready to move these starts to the great outdoors!! :stew1: