Seed Viability

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Jan 29, 2019.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I have to start with this...last night I thought that I was going to start my seeds but NOOOOOO...as I started sorting that blue bag that I've had since 2004, I became increasingly overwhelmed and nostalgic at the same time. At that point, I realized that I have had seeds since, I believe 2005, when I was a member of the BH&G forum and really threw myself into gardening. People were kind enough to send seeds to get me started because it was such a large piece of property and I really didn't know where to start. Guess what!!! I have a lot of those seeds in their packets. I am attaching a pic of those seeds and if anyone can remember who may have sent those seeds, please let us know. I am so excited to know if anyone who was on that forum is now here with us!!! I also realized that I am definitely a seed hoarder. I have seeds that i gathered from my aunt's yard, years ago. I have seeds that I have multiple packs when i didn't bother to look first. I have seeds that came with orders and i never had the space to grow them. I have seeds from people on YT. I guess, I realized that if all the seeds germinated, I would have more than enough for my yard.....wowwww!!!
    Now for the questions at hand....I will try to germinate every one of those seeds and prayerfully they will grow. I know that they may not make it, but i cared for those seeds like they are precious, which they are to me. Needless to say, I didn't get anything done last night!!!
    Seeds of Love!!.jpg

2ofus, Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good luck with your project Hummerbum! Sounds like you have scads and scads of seeds!!!

I am a bit of a seed collector too....alright maybe 'hoarder' is the more accurate description!
    A year ago January I did germination tests with my various packets of vegetable seeds. I was surprised by how many germinated in the 80 % or higher range.

Good luck again with your project!

4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Cayuga, I doooooooo!! Oh my goodness, i was completely overwhelmed. I may just take a little pic over the weekend just so you can see what i'm working with....lol. Can't be sure that that will happen though. Huge yard/garden projects this weekend. I will be sure to let you know what happens.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Just a suggestion about using some seaweed extract on those seeds. There are many phytohormones in seaweed, and some like giberillic acid and auxins are really useful for waking seeds up and helping them grow.

Sjoerd, hummerbum and Kazzawazza like this.

Advertisement
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you Dirtmechanic...i can tell your expertise will be very much appreciated in this forum. Welcome!!!

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

No. I appreciate your thoughts but really I had teachers upon whose ideas your praise is more appropriately placed.

hummerbum likes this.