Seedlings growing very slowly if at all...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Beeker, May 7, 2015.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Judging by the date of my blog, I planted my tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and watermelon the last or second to last week of February. A couple of weeks after they sprouted, I repotted them and put them in the window. They are getting plenty of water and light, but they aren't growing. They seem to be just staying the same size. My roses that are in the same window had powdery mildew. I sprayed them with a milk-water solution and it cleared up right away. I noticed that the leaves on my tomato plants were also starting to yellow. I sprayed them with the milk solution too as a preventative measure if they were developing powdery mildew too.
    Any thoughts?
    Why did my seedlings stop growing?

[​IMG]
    2015 May seedlings ( photo / image / picture from Beeker's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

In what proportions do you make your milk/water solution? This is the first time i've heard of this. I only have almond milk...do you think that would work? Or i have yogurt (natural, no sugar), would that be better? Your comment is very interesting to me because i've been having the same problem and i am a long way from New England. Normally, we can plant outside in February but we had an unusual cold snap for a few weeks when the night time temps really tumbled and things were not growing at a time when seeds usually explode out of the ground. Also, our volcano has been erupting very steadily since the end of November 2014 although all of the ash and other debris has blown away from where i am. I have been attributing this strange behavior to these two local phenomena. Do you think instead that it might have to due with sun spot activity? Now in May it is humid and hot here, prime time for easy germination, but i have some plants that came up, got their first 2 leaves and have just been sitting there for the last few weeks, also some plants that came up very weakly and just keel over. I've had a garden in the same location for 8 years and have never experienced something like this before. I am puzzled.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those are all heat loving plants, there is a good chance that the seedlings will not really start putting on new growth until they are getting lots of full sun and warm temperatures.

Beeker likes this.
  5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I found the solution online. It was one part milk to four parts water. I haven't tried almond milk, but I don't think it will work because the article said that the proteins are what kill the mildew. I believe animal milk is necessary.
    I also found a couple of articles a year or two ago that said a milk/water solution (especially if it is raw 2% milk) is great fertilizer.
    I drink store-bought, whole milk, so I used that for the mildew issue. It worked fine.
    If it is hot and humid there, that is perfect weather for powdery mildew. I get it a lot on my squash plants, but this year I am armed with new knowledge! ;)

Vitrsna, I'm sorry to hear that your plants aren't making it. I have a bunch of questions that will help us help you.
    What is the size of your garden?
    Have you added anything to the soil to amend it such as compost, manure, etc.?
    How much sun does it get?
    What is the ground temperature?
    What plants are in the garden and what plants are you having trouble with?
    Do you rotate your crops?
    How often do you water them?
    Have you tested the soil?
    Do you notice any discoloration or any other symptoms of the plants before they die?
    What types of bugs or other creatures have you seen in or around your garden?

You might want to start your own thread and answer these questions so you will get more attention and, hopefully, answers and advice for your problem.
    I hope this helps.

vitrsna likes this.

Advertisement
  6. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Thank you Beeker for the milk/water spray proportions. I can't wait to try it.:)

I have many well established perennials that are just fine and some new ones that are doing well too. It is only some of the seedlings that are having trouble growing, that get their first 2 leaves and just sit there or keel over or grow weakly. I think the problem is that i bought a new seed germinating, starting mix (instead of mixing my own) this year and as i review my problem, it appears that i am only having trouble with seeds trying to grow in this store-bought mix. This is what most of my seedling problems all have in common so i am going to start again using my homemade mix and see how it goes. These are all good questions to ask though and i appreciate your input:like:

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree with Toni. I have planted tomatoes and peppers in my garden but untill the temperature and other conditions are right,, they just sit there.

8. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I think I'll plant them outside this coming weekend. We've had nice, warm weather the past couple of days, but a cold front is moving in causing it to drop back into the upper 30s again tomorrow night.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that it is purely due to the weather and temps.
    Personally I would not actually plant them out until the weather takes a noticable change towards warm. I also find your seedlings a bit too small for planting out. they have only 1½ leaf sets.
    I would not give them much (if any) water during this phase. I would begin giving water when they are visibly growing....and then only from the bottom to avoid a Fusarium development or some other fungus or bacterial insult.

10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Thank you, Sjoerd.
    This has happened each year. The past two seasons, I have had to plant them at this size. Once they are in the ground, they do start to grow, but not until then, and then it is a gamble because they might not make it.
    I will wait and see, but they aren't doing anything and it has been VERY warm and dry around here. A couple did dry out and die since I am watering them minimally.
    I just bought some nice tomato and pepper plants from the store. I'll plant those while I wait and see what happens with my little guys.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Did you get some plants from the store?
    How are they doing?
    It has been a couple of weeks or so now, I should imagine that you are seeing some growth now.
    Now that they are in the ground and somewhat, if not completely established....You can give them more water. The plants are real drinkers....and eaters.

I am pulling for you, meid.

12. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had/have some seedlings that just aren't growing either. They sprouted okay (back in February or April), but they are still just babies. I thought they weren't getting enough sun (they were under grow lights) so I set them outside. Still little babies. I have started the same things before and they grew like gang-busters... but this year it just ain't happening.
    They aren't dead, so there's still hope. I think maybe it's time for another feeding.

13. kate

kate In Flower

I agree with Toni, lack of sun.

I have a Peony in bud for weeks due to no sun.