Seeds on a clivia....

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by carolyn, Feb 4, 2016.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

So, I have a clivia that a friend sent me and it has one seed pod on it from last Summer. Any ideas how long one takes to mature? or should I pull it off and plant it up? the "pod" is a beautiful red colored pod... still firm.... help? it has pups, too. how crowded should I let it get before dividing it? it is in a fairly large pot and has plenty of room to grow, but how crowded should I let it get?

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Carolyn,

I have had several Clivia's over the years.
    The seeds are ready to extract when the seed pods have turned reddish (this takes 8-10 months I reckon). I don't know how many seeds per seed pod you will get--it always varies. I think that they're seed pods
    Right then--when you remove them, open the little pod up and separate the seeds. Let them totally dry up and then they have reached this stage, plant them right away in a seeding soil--5 parts sand to 1 part soil. Naturally you can make your own seed germination mixture--you get it that drainage is the key here.

It is a good idea to place them in one of those incubators, just be sure that during the daylight hours there is ventilation. This is very important in my view.

As soon as the little plantlets are present, carefully lift them out and into their own pot with potting soil.....and wait. You may have to re-pot them in an ever larger pot over a period of three years or so before they bloom.

Now meid, the little pups you can take off and plant anytime I believe...at least when I did this I paid no attention to time of year or how full the pot was. What I DID take note of was if the mother plant was blooming or not. If she was in bloom, I did not separate any pups so that I would not disrupt the blooming period.

When you remove and pot the pups up, they can be blooming for you within a year!

Well miss, that's about all I know about Clivia's. I have not had them for quite some time now, and I do miss them from time to time.

Good luck.

Frank, carolyn and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks S. The pod has been hanging on since last Summer...

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well C--if it hasn't turned reddish, I would be sceptical a bit.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is red. I just wonder how long to leave it before popping it off to try to germinate them...or will it just drop off?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would take those seed pods off right now and begin the drying, then planting process.
    I am excited for you, mizz C.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Okay. Will do. I see another flower coming up, too. Now that is exciting. They are just beautiful.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Today I see a leaf tip sticking through the soil...YAY!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is just mahvelous dahling.
    I hope that the bio-clock goes off in the rest of your seeds very soon.
    This is exciting, isn't it.