Sentry Palm Help

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Eloise, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Eloise

Eloise New Seed

Hi!

I've recently been given what I think is a Sentry Palm that is in real bad shape. It was in a very low light office, not cared for and very dusty, however there is sign of new fronds. I have read up online about light and water requirements but what I couldn't find much info on was whether or not I should completely cut off all the older, brown fronds. I have done this with the completely dead ones but there are a few that are just starting to brown.

Is there anyway these could regain their health? Or am I better off cutting my loses and just keeping the completely healthy new growers?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Eloise!

Welcome to GardenStew! We are a great community of gardeners and there is usually someone on here who can help.

I am not familiar with sentry palms, but I have grown other palms. I have simply trimmed the brown part of the leaf off. If the leaf is more green than brown, I would leave them on, just trimming the dead parts off to make the plant look better. Once there is more fresh new growth, perhaps you could take off more of the unsightly leaves gradually.

Eloise and Odif like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've done the same as Cayuga Eloise. If you cut off the brown leaves, or parts of leaves, the plant has more energy to put into the new growth and looks less unsightly.

Eloise and Odif like this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hi and welcome from the Pyrenees.

6. Eloise

Eloise New Seed

Thanks for all your help! I don't know if its just in my head but he seems to be looking happier already! Time will tell :)

Cayuga Morning likes this.