Shaping soil beds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Northerner, May 8, 2018.

1. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

Hi all. I'm just about finished with the new garden. Next I'll be adding a layer of peat and manure mixed up on top of the plots. Now should I build up the soil, like in mounds? Here's what I have going on... IMG_20180506_193806-1200x2133.jpg

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm not sure about mounding it higher than the bricks. The soil may end up covering the bricks when you water.

4. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

I ended up putting a thin layer of the peat, manure mix on top and kind of beveling the edges inward and making sure the surface was raked smooth. I'm stoked!! This is my first in ground garden since I used to help my father with our garden back 30 years ago.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What is your plan for this garden Northerner? Vegies? Annuals? Shrubs? Perennials?

I agree with 2ofus that if you want to mound the soil up you'll need some kind of barrier so it doesn't bury your bricks.

I mound my soil in my vegie garden because the soil tends to be wet. Mounding up gives the plants drier feet. If you have an island bed of flowers or shrubs people sometimes mound it up in order to visually have an more interesting bed with height differences.

Your soil looks great. Looks like a great start.

Advertisement
  6. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

It's going to be a veggie garden. Cucumber, zucchini, summer squash, cherry tomatoes, indeterminate regular tomatoes, carrots, radishes, sweet bell peppers, banana peppers and jalapenos.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds great Northerner. Convenient that chain link fence is there. Will you train the cukes or tomatoes up on it?

8. Northerner

Northerner Mean Bean

No that's my neighbors and it's only 3ft high. I will be building a fence 25 ft long 6ft high for the green beans, forgot to mention those. Should have about 80