Sharing My Favorite Gardens - Water

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Jewell, May 23, 2009.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    When we bought our home 26 years ago I finally got to indulge myself in building a pond. :-D I dug and prep an area for the big pond and friends and hubby mixed and poured the cement. The surrounding area has changed over the years, but having the water is a wonderful thing. I only wish I had dug deeper :-? (18-24" would have been ideal).

[​IMG]
    My Big Pond on North Side of house ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden)

About five years ago the possums and raccoons decided the big pond was their private retreat and destroyed all of the fish and aquatic plants no matter what I did to try and discourage them. I gave up and emptied the pond, but it rains here....a lot and was filled up again in a week. The electric fencer seems to have discouraged swimming meets, and improved the manners of the raccoons and possums.

[​IMG]Jewell2009's Garden )[/size][/i]
    My Big Pond - the critter path to the water ( photo / image / picture from URL=http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/garden-image.php?image_id=4248&user_id=5463][​IMG][/URL]
    My Big Pond - Blueberries ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden)

I have planted my blueberries plants around two sides of the pond. The plants are very long lived (these were pulled and sold from a blueberry farm that was being developed 25 years ago, so the plants have to be around 50 years old) The plants help lightly shade the pond in the late afternoon, are right by the back door for snacking. Blueberries are produced most years from June 1 through September 1. Definitely my favorite berry.

[​IMG]
    My Big Pond - Where?? ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

Because of the reflections from the two houses on the pond I used a technique of photographing at night to get the last picture (learned that from another stewie). Pictured is my sitting area where I watch the fish after I feed them or just have a quiet break.

[​IMG]
    My Big Pond - At Night ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. tinasam
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

You have a beautiful pond! :-D

Absolutely stunning.

I have always wanted a BIG pond but no matter how many hints I drop, my husband still hasn't made me one. If I could dig it out myself, I would. The ground here is too hard for me to even attempt it.

*sigh* :(

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wouldn't be without my big pond in the garden now. I used to have two tiny ponds but they just weren't enough for me. Now I have a pond with a waterfall and fountain and it's one of the joys of my life. I sometimes forget how long I stand out there just watching all the creatures the water attracts. :rolleyes:

5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Man, what a beautiful pond/garden you have. Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted a pond, preferably with a waterfall, in my yard, but never had the money or space to do it. :-? Oh well, maybe someday I can have a pond/garden as beautiful as yours. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh your garden and pond is fantastic.Is the blue blooms in picture #4 plumbagos? I do love all your blue blooms.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Beautiful pond. I wish I was in a place to have one. I would also want the water fall. Just love the sound of water trickling over the rocks. So peaceful and restfull. Thanks for sharing your pics.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Love your pond! Everything looks wonderful Jewell :)

9. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Your pond is pretty. How many fish doyou have? how bout frogs? We have a pond and just love it, I just hooked up the fountain this year. thanks for showing us yours.

10. Jewell

Thanks for the lovely comments. I admire those of you with the waterfalls and fountains. :stew1: I got tired of maintence with the pump. :rolleyes: Glendann the purple is a hyacinth bulb var. albuluc that naturalizes everywhere in this climate. Candadian Chelsea having bad soil might have slowed me down a little too, the soil here is deep, and the only rocks are ones I have introduced. Made it pretty easy I admit. ;) Petunia lots of fish (feeders that have multiplied-ponds too small for koi, plus the ones I had were easy pickings for the raccoons who had a fine dinner). I've tried several times getting frogs eggs and tadpoles from some of the local little lakes, but I guess the fish eat them, or I don't have enough of whatever they need. Would love to have the croaking, but even the tree frogs seems to be quiet anymore.

11. petunia

petunia Young Pine

we have feeder fish too but they have grown almost the size of koi's and multiplied also. We have had frogs come on thier own and then have went to the bottom as fish do to hybernate during the winter then come to the top when it warms up. We have had up to 7 frogs already this year-the fish don't seem to bother them. Although maybe the fish are eating the eggsof frogs if any are laid beacuse I have never seen any baby frogs.

12. shannonrose

shannonrose New Seed

What a beautiful pond. We have a lrger one as well. Sometimes I find it frustrating but overall I enjoy sitting by it. The part I find least favorite is keeping the plants divided and the pond water clean. My son often can be found adding frogs , fish or any other types of aqautics to our pond. This can sometimes mess things up.

13. rubythroat

rubythroat New Seed

I spent the first `13 years of my life having a water feature in the backyard of my childhood home. Ever since then I've wanted a pond/water feature. Even if I had to string a gallon milk jug to a pole with a birdbath underneath.

your pond is gorgeous and I'm inspired by it for wherever we live once we leave this house! I sat here with my mouth open while looking at your photos! Do you have fish in it yet? How long did it take you to initially set up?

Jenn :stew1:

14. rubythroat

rubythroat New Seed

Same here. I have the space but not the money :-| I hope at the next place we'll have the space for one even if it's in a corner. I hope you get one too they are so nice to have. A pond with a waterfall or some type of water movement device is so calming and soothing.

15. Jewell

The large pond was hand dug, over a month. I bought the cement mix by the bag over several months and stored it in a dry place (garage). We didn't have much money when it was created so it simply took time to get the pieces together. It was several years later that the stones were added (when I leveled the walkway around it and had to dig below the pond (cement) level.

Now you can find the plastic liners on sale at the end of the season. I have two and am not real kin on them. I've never been creative enough to get them to look like I want them to look with plants, etc. Others are probably much more talented with getting the "look" with them.

Here was a little pond I did in a day with a few bags of cement, and a little recyled chicken wire to reinforce the cement. Today it has wire on it to keep the raccoons from pulling up the water lilies.
    [​IMG]
    Little Cement Pond between house and garage ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

But the good news is you can have an instant beautiful water feature using a ceramic or plastic planter. Simple seal the hole with a tube of silicone. When you drop in a water plant or two, a small pump if you want noise the water garden is complete when filled with water.

[​IMG]
    Small pond, planter matenience ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

The white water garden with lilies is a large plastic planter from Costco that was sunk into the ground 4 years ago. I had just cleaned it. The blue pot I needed to divide the water plant that was in it (a spiral stemmed water plant). Unfortunately water plants need to be divided and maintained just like any other garden.