Shipping seeds and cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Karrma, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Hi everyone. I have lots of questions on sending seeds and especially cuttings. What are good way to send them, and how quickly do they need to be sent? Any feedback on which ways arrive in good condition, and which did not?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It most likely depends on specifically what the cuttings are as to how fragile/durable they are for shipping. When I worked in the greenhouse we received geranium and mum cuttings in the mail. the geraniums are very hardy as a cutting and they do better for rooting if they have developed a callus before you dip and stick them. So the next day or several days doesn't hurt them during shipping. the only concern is the heat or cold they would be subjected to.

the mums came in an insulated box banded in bundles and wrapped in damp paper. we stored these in the cooler until we were ready to put them in the rooting bed.

I don't remember if the geraniums came in an insulated box or not, but i would think they did.

cuttings most likely should be shipped the same day, or at the latest the next day, after taking the cuttings.

The big growers do this frequently, but perhaps deliver themselves for the larger greenhouses to control the environment the cuttings are in from them, to the wholesale grower. It can be quite expensive (as in thousands$$$$) to lose a whole shipment due to the negligence of the usps.

I would suggest watching the weather and using bubble wrap damp paper and priority mail for the cuttings.

Coppice and Karrma like this.
  4. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Live plants and cuttings do best at my hobby-size (even with priority mail) when dormant.

Mar-may or Oct-Nov. Not August, ever.

5. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

I was thinking the best stuff I have to offer trade would be some French tarragon or my Greek oregano. Both cannot be grown by seed. The tarragon is especially delicate, and any cutting wilts in 30 minutes. I would have to have each as a rooted plant, I think. I have already started to root several branches of my oregano. Have you shipped small whole plants before?

6. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Hi Coppice, Yes, I am starting to plan now to have some small plants that will be hardy enough to ship in the fall for trade. It is good to know what time of year is best for giving and receiving these.