Show Off Your Cannas

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Nov 23, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm assuming that the majority of us are experiencing winter conditions now. To help pass the time, I've been trying to figure out what to put in this HUGE container of mine next year. This photo is from a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]
    Lily bed ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Those are 6 ft fence post outlining that bed, so that gives you a clue to how big this pot is.
    I moved it to the bed along the driveway in the front of the house.
    I've pretty much decided that I'm going to use it to plant something that I really like, but hate to "chase" it as it spreads out of control. CANNAS!
    I have regular orange ones, but know they come in a variety of colors - both the flowers and leaves.
    So... I'd love to see the ones you all grow so I can start making a wish list.

:stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cheryl--Your pot looks great! Plenty big enough for cannas! You could put 2 kinds in there, with different colored foliage & heights for contrast.

4. cherylad

Thanks Cayuga... I was looking online at some... and there's some with beautiful dark leaves that I'd love to have. And some nice colors besides orange (which I have already). There was a pink one that caught my eye. :stew2:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, maybe make a mixed foliage and flower container, not just cannas. Cannas will give you height, but put something in there to spill over the side. Petunia, dichondra, a mid height flower or interesting texture foliage , to give your eye a reason to look at the whole planter, not just the canna flowers way at the top.

6. cherylad

Great idea Carolyn... I'll have to think of some "droopy" plants that can take the full sun... but... with the cannas I guess they will get a little bit of protection from the sun.