Shredded Cedar vs. Hardwood mulch

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by cherylad, May 24, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I accidentally picked up some shredded cedar mulch the other day and rather liked it! What I meant to pick up was some of the cedar "bark-like" mulch.
    I seem to remember that cedar helps repel certain insects. Is this the same for cedar mulch?
    I've been mulching the remaining flower beds lately to help retain moisture. All I could find the other day at wally-world was shredded hardwood. Looks the same. But does it work the same as cedar?
    And... is cedar safe for all types of plants?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I use shredded Texas Native Red Cedar, a renewable source of native material. I love the fragrance and the fact that since it is impervious to insects you don't have to worry about termites. Cedar repels them in hardwood encourages them.

4. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Hardqwood mulch could reasonably contain bark of any of the walnut/hickory family of trees. All of which contain some juglone.

As mulch around trees its probably ok. For flowers or vegetables, maybe not.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    There's a "no-float" cedar shredded mulch at either HD or Lowe's. We use it on paths around the gardens, and on the path between the house and barn. The only drawback is that it has to be renewed almost yearly, and that it tracks into the house.
    Coppice, I didn't know that hickory trees contained juglone. Another nugget of information learned--thanks!

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Well that answers that.... cedar it will be from now on.
    Hope I didn't stunt anything in those beds I just used the hardwood stuff on!