Sign Language Illustrated Encyclopedia ?

Discussion in 'Books' started by azw1879, Aug 1, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Can anyone supply the name of a single reference book which contains illustrations showing the sign alphabet to allow the spelling out of words, as well as a large selection of complete words using sign ?

I can't afford more than a couple of books on the subject, so if there is an 'ultimate' book, I would appreciate its title and author.

Thanks

C.J.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. azw1879
      Replies:
      Views:

3. NewAttitude

NewAttitude Seedling

This might be a little involved, but whenever I think about buying an expensive book I always try to get it from the library first.

If you live in US I would recommend going to Amazon.com and finding some of the highest rated sign books like:
    Signing illustrated: the complete learning guide

Find 3 or 4 books that look like they will fit the bill, read the reviews and then go to your local library and see if they have these books. Most libraries have an online catalogue that you can search, or you can just ask the librarian to find a copy. If that branch doesn't have it, usually they can get it mailed over from another one.

It might sound like a lot of work, but after a couple times of doing this it takes me about 5 minutes to place a hold on a book I found on Amazon. It's really nice if you find out the book doesn't really do it for you, because you can simply return it to the library :)

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I use the Joy of Signing by Lottie Riekrhof. I got it when I took a class when I was working with deaf kids. I still use it. It's American Sign Language though so you might want one from where you live. Finding one in a library to look at is a good idea. There are several at our library and I can look at them and let you know if you want, but looking them up on line might do it. Dooley

5. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Thanks. I managed to find a couple of great sites with video clips showing signs for words as well as finger-spelling the alphabet (the latter I've learned and can at least spell out words, until I've mastered the signing of individual words and phrases)

Enough to keep me busy. Certainly is a good subject to learn, at least the basics anyway.

Thanks again

C.J.