Silica gel packets

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Donna S, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I just learned this so just passing it on. Save silica gel packs and put them in your seeds to help with moisture. I bought a package of 50 at staples for $4.00. But I will start saving them from now on. :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I didn't know that you could buy them! I've saved the few we've received with packages, but not nearly enough to put in with my seed packets. Thanks for the tip!
    You ought to re-word this and post it on the Recycling Tips thread. This a great re-use of something most folks throw away.

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks I will do that

5. louise

louise New Seed

Brilliant tip, thanks.

In fact, I've never actually been sure what these are for - can anyone help?!

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Louise: First I need to say welcome to the GS. It's a great site to get help, share remedies, stories, photo's and make friends.

You had asked what the silica jell is used for. If my info is correct you can mix it with your soil and it retains moister longer for the potted plants to retain their moisture level longer. Hope that helps. :stew1:

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Silica gel is a desiccant. It absorbs the small amount of moisture from the area the seeds are stored in so that the humidity doesn't allow mold to grow, therefore ruining the viability of the seed. These are the small packets that are often shipped in vitamins and herbal supplements, for a similar reason..... so that the gelatin capsules don't absorb the moisture from the air around them, creating a great big glob of pills and also compromising the quality of the product. Moisture will cause rapid deterioration of most organic materials.

You will also see large quantities of this advertised as odor absorbing gel for rooms and RV's. you just put it in the oven and dry it back out to reuse it.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Carolyn, I figured there was someplace to get this stuff, but have never seen it when I am out shopping. I thought that was what is used in those soils you get to retain moisture. It is also what makes disposable diapers impossible to burn.

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I bought silica gel packs at staples. I got 50 of the 1/2 gram packs for my seeds. You can also get them from amazon.com. They were under $5.00. And they are reusable.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I haven't researched whether these two products are the same composition or not. I can't contribute to knowing either way if they are the same or different. I haven't tried using the desiccant as a moisture absorber like a diaper or the soil moist granules. So I don't know personally if it it the same.

11. louise

louise New Seed

Hi Tooty, thanks for the nice welcome, and for answering my question :)