Simple fix for my dying rose

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by desertflower, Aug 8, 2007.

1. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

I bought a couple of Lady Banks rose bushes about 3 years ago for only 2 bucks each. Since it was the price that motivated the purchase, I really didn't know where I wanted to plant them. I put one near my pond and the other I finally stuck in the ground near the house till I decided where it would be planted permanently. Well, this spring I had hubby dig it up and re-plant it by one of the aviaries. It did fine for several weeks then started loosing it's leaves. :?: Within a few days it was bald :scheming: . I couldn't figure out what happened and we conditioned the soil and it did well for a while. :idea: Then an idea hit me so I went out and checked and sure enough, sand and soil had built up around the crown to cover it. I used the hose with pretty high pressure and "washed" the crown.
    Within a couple of days new leaves started appearing an now it is completely normal looking. It is planted on a slight slope and I watered at the high end and let the water run down to it and a canna on past it. Just wanted to share this as I almost lost a good rose for no good reason.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for the heads up DF.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Is Lady Banks the climbing rose with bunches of little yellow roses? If it's the same one I'm thinking of I'd like to find one to plant alongside my potting shed :-D
    I'm glad you saved it :) I thought I'd lost my "Julia Child" rose this summer but I found new growth on it :setf_016: I was heartbroken when I thought it was dead because I was the one that killed it :( I thought I was doing a good thing when I fed it early in the season with systemic rose food. Think I burnt it :rolleyes:
    Deanna
    :-D

5. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

Lady Banks is the yellow clumps of tiny yellow flowers, that smell heavenly.

The tag on this one said lady banks, but the roses are quite a bit larger and white, but the same type of flower.

I have a yellow lady banks that is older than I am. I live in the house I grew up in and also own the property next door. This rose bush was there when I was two. Now it is well over 10 ft tall, and at least 1 ft wide. It was never pruned in the years it sat here in the past. We pruned out the dead branches 2 years ago.

By the way, that bush in the original post is in trouble again. Puney looking. So I dug down to put a larger well around it and (I water it every day) 1 inch below the ground it was bone dry! It is in horrible soil so that's my next project.

stratsmom, I have seen several of these bushes at walmart, in early summer.

Advertisement
  6. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I have admired lady banks for a while and found two at bargain prices $5.00 each. I planted one and have no idea where to put the other and it is still in the pot. My house is yellow like the rose and is making its final home a difficult decision. I have lost several roses to the crown becoming covered in time.

7. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

thanks for the info desertflower. it's good you figured it out.