Slug Control

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Lever, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Lever

Lever New Seed

Is there a "humane" method of natural slug control? I've tried catapault method of forced relocation but it's only effective when I'm awake and slugs seem to work in a different time zone to me ;)

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated. Thx in advance :D

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forums Lever ;)

LOL, that's a great way of getting rid of the slugs! I can just picture the poor little guys flying through the air, bless them. I do agree with the post on your site though, slug pellets are definitely a bad way to end your little slug life.

I think I have found exactly what you are looking for on this page Lever http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm
    Let us know how it goes :)

4. Lever

Lever New Seed

That's a fantastic find, Gardenstew, thankyou very much :D

The copper band method of slug control hasn't worked, sharp stones didn't do the job, salt works but is IMHO quite gruesome, beer involves a "great way to go" but slug death nonetheless, so that leaves (no pun intended there ;) ) a number of methods to try...

The "watering schedule" looks so simple, might gave that a go first, then maybe collect some seaweed from the beach...

Roll on summertime. Will report back on any findings. Anyone else had any successes?

Thx again, Gardenstew.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Lever,

I'm afraid I use the method of squishing one here and there and waiting until more come on the scene to feed from the mess and then collecting them and disposing of them well away from my gaden. (Works with snails too.) The ones I don't get the birds generally do.

Others have told me that used coffee grounds, left over coffee or crushed eggshells round your plants works but I haven't tried the coffee theory myself.

Advertisement
  6. lily

lily New Seed

Last year crushed seashells worked great for me lever, but I also favour the flying lessons method. Big ones fly futher! :D

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

"Big ones fly further".... they sure do Lily....usually into a neighbours garden that looks as though Steptoe and Son live there!! LOL

8. zeke

zeke New Seed

Slug fest

Hello everyone -
    I stumbled in here looking for ways to control slugs and found so much more. Nice to be "meeting" you.
    Now back to the slugs - I'm talking hundreds of them.
    Picking them off is overwhelming, beer doesn't get nearly enough - not even in those fancy dancy Lee Valley slug traps. I've tried coffee grounds, pine needles, egg shells, wood ash and even risked lime on the soil. The salt shaker is too horrible. AAhhh. :smt118 My veggies are lace work, petunias eaten to the ground - well you get the picture. The idea of eliminating where they hide is a tough one, since they are hiding in the lettuce - what's left of it. I'm desperate. :smt066 I've been in this garden now for three seasons, and it just isn't being fun anymore.

Adam I love the pellets in a jar idea, if it works. But I live with a dog and lots of wildlife and I have to know it's safe. How is the jar situated? How tall of a jar?
    Any more advice on that one, or any other ideas would be most appreciated.
    Happy days, z

9. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I tried crushed egg shells last night on my ginger and gaint elephant ear. It worked like a charm! Now I just hope my one ginger grows faster! She has just one pitiful half eaten leave left! And other is just a stump! LOL She only had to two leaves! Poor thing!

But like I said! The egg shells work!

10. ruthie4659

ruthie4659 New Seed

I also know that the Hershey's Cocoa shell mulch works well. They can't crawl on it.

11. Kimberly

Kimberly Seedling

I just read that copper tape reacts with there slime and gives them a small electric shocks and repells them....I haven't tried it myself yet but it is supposed to work... :-D

12. catkins

catkins Seedling

:D :D :D @ you two!!!!

13. harold

harold New Seed

The best way is to stamp on them I reckon. Even if it take a couple of seasons.