sluge removal

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by jjab, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jjab

jjab New Seed

I drained my pond of about 2/3 of the water a few days ago and put fresh water back in. I was surprised that the water was not too dirty. It looked, and still does
    look like filthy green water. Maybe there is nasty stuff on the bottom. How can I get it out?
    I can't buy an expensive muc vac. what about a wet vac?
    THANKS, jjab

2. petunia

petunia Young Pine

JJab-what kind of pond do you have? For example do you want it to stay clean? or, you could let it be more natural and put fish in and over time maybe frogs may even come on their own. The more natural atmosphere will help keep the pond clean but not always clear. There are some chemicals you can get to clean the water of moss and smudge but if you have fish you'll need to be careful of how much chemical you use. Always follow directions. Having a natural looking pond with natural habitate is so soothing especially if you can add a pump or running water. I've never drained mine-but I do have fish and about 20-25 frogs have come to live in my pond. I leave our pump running during the winter so it keeps the water moving under the ice. The fish go down deeper to where its warmer for them. Every spring its more fun to see how many new frogs I'll have. I hope this info. helps any questions you might have.

3. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

I use a wet vac from Sears for cleaning out the bottom of small ponds. It works pretty well.