Snakeskin

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Jul 13, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

snakeskin.jpg
    I've posted before that we have a variety of snakes here on the farm, most of whom are non-venomous. This morning we found this shedded snakeskin on the sidewalk to our front door. He was just a baby--maybe four feet long. Judging by the markings, he/she is a rat snake, living under our house, and probably taking care of any mice that might want to move in. The straight piece at the top is a yardstick (3' long) and the snake skin is longer than the yardstick.

Jewell likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I usually find smallish Garter snakes curled up still in their winter sleep when I start scraping fallen leaves off the beds in February but they are not anywhere near as big as yours.

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Now I would have found that quite the surprise:eek: to find in front of the hose. It must be eating well.:whistling:

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm sure. as you say, the Rat snakes will eat mice and other rodents for you which can only be a good thing. Over here Rat snakes are only kept as pets. Your one looks to be a healthy specimen as the skin is complete right to the tail tip. :)