Snert for Bsewnsew

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here is what I came up with finally.
    My partner put this together, It's the way we make and eat it.
    --
    Snert (Dutch split pea soup)

Snert is a traditional winter meal in Holland, it's more like a stew than a soup and it should be so thick that your spoon can stand up in it.
    It's one of those dishes that are best when cooked in large quantities and are even better the next day. Most people will make it in the largest pan they have and freeze portions to be eaten at a later date.

Ingredients:

500 grams split peas (these are a type of dried peas)
    500 grams hambone with meat on it (or pigs' feet or spareribs)
    100 grams fat bacon (in one piece, if possible with the skin)

2 large onions
    1 large winter carrot (or 4 normal carrots)
    2 leeks
    1 celery root (the big round tuber)
    2 potatoes
    1 bunch of celery leaves
    Pepper and salt to taste

1 large smoked sausage

Preparation:

Rinse the split peas in a strainer under running water.
    Boil plenty of water in a large pan
    Add the peas, hambone and bacon, bring to a boil again, scoop the foam off and discard.
    After a few minutes, pour the water off.
    Add two litres of fresh water to the peas, hambone and bacon, bring to a boil, turn the heat down do a simmer.

While the peas are simmering you prepare the vegetables.
    Celery root and potatoes, peel and cut into small squares.
    Carrot, peel or scrub, cut in half lengthways and slice.
    Onions diced.
    Leeks, cut in half lengthways and each half finely, also lengthways and cut in half cm pieces.

Add these vegetables to the peas (the celery leaves are added later) and simmer until the peas are done, (when they fall apart) 2 - 3 hours.

Take the hambone and bacon out of the pan, take the meat off the bone, cut the skin off the bacon and discard the bone and bacon skin. Cut the meat in small squares, return to the pan.
    Wash the celery leaves and roughly cut with scissors.
    Add the smoked sausage and celery leaves and reheat the soup for about 15 minutes.
    Add pepper and salt to taste.
    Cut the smoked sausage into slices and return to the soup.

The snert is now done but will not be really thick. If you let it sit until the next day it will be thicker and tastier. Just reheat what you need and freeze the rest.
    Take care when reheating so you don't burn the bottom, low heat and stir frequently (when it's too thick you could add a little water but remember that the spoon should be able to stand up in the snert).
    Small amounts can be reheated in the microwave.

In my youth there was always a kettle of water boiling when we ate snert, some didn't like it very thick so they added some boiling water to the snert in their bowl to make it thinner.

Snert is traditionally eaten with typical Dutch rye bread (almost black and sticky) with a thin slice of boiled bacon on top. But French bread is fine too.

Hopefully the extra writing will help you to get it right and not be disappointed with the end result.

BTW... is your avatar the Danish Flag poppy? It's a beauty. I have grown this flower, but not the subspecies that has fringed petals. Lovely, that.

Ok, B....Good Luck!
    Smakelijk eten, as we say here.

2. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh please pardon me if I find this post totally hilarious

Sjoerd - here in South Africa in Afrikaans when we use the word SNERT it means that you are quite rude to the person you said it to. In essence I would have been telling that person that he/she is talking rubbish.

3. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh my I just stopped laughing now. :-D

I think from now on I will use the word snert in the good sense and others can look on me thinking how rude.
    Then I will be able to tell them in no uncertain terms that I am talking food.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've made Snert!!!! :smt026 I honestly didn't know it was a Dutch dish or that it had a special name though.
    It is absolutely delicious so please try this recipe out. I have also made it with smoked sausage slices instead of ham and it's really tasty too. I'm going to e.mail my friends in Holland and tell them that I've been cooking up one of their traditional dishes without even realising it!!! :D Thank you soooo much Sjoerd - I now feel like an expert chef!!!! ;)

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha ha....Palm Tree. That's a good one! I had no idea that snert would have such a meaning there...
    What a surprize. Well, there are of course many other differences in out languages, but I think there more similarities. than differences.
    You could always just say, "split pea soup"., or "erwtensoep".
    Just remind them that snert is West-Frisian and not Nederlands. chuckle.

Eileen, I am sure your friends will be delighted to hear it. I was delighted to hear that you have made and eaten it... --making a deep bow and doffing my chef's hat. ;)

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I haven't made split pea soup in ages but we make it nearly the same as you. I just don't cook as varied as I did when the boys were growing up. I haven't cooked much with leeks. I used onions. Leeks aren't a popular vegetable in America, I think. You find very few in supermarkets. I get mine from specialty stores. I have a recipe for leek and potato pie with bacon that I'm wanting to try. Maybe when we go shopping I will also buy split peas. Thank you! dooley

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are welcome, Dooley. I had no idea that leeks were so scarse there. Maybe the ground it to dry and there isn't enough moisture in your soil there in Arizona. I guess that it would take special measures to grow it there yourself.
    Leek and potato pie sounds good doesn't it?

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:p mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Had homemade snert last night...and it was tast-TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

9. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Yummy, that sounds so delicious!!!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Penny...it WUZ! and tonight I shall have it again, having let it "age". It should be even better. ;)

11. Penny

Penny Young Pine

So what your saying then, is to make a bigger batch :-D :-D

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Love split pea soup and this version sounds really great. The thicker the better.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Snert for supper Last nite.........

Sjoerd,

:D

[​IMG]

Here is the Snert I made for supper last nite..We loved it .
    It tastes just like our Version of Ham soup.
    My husband and I both thought it was delicious.. And we froze the rest.........Notice how big it is .
    Dont know if I did it correct, but it was soooooooooooo good.
    Thanks again for sharing.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh heh heh.... just look at YOU! That looks like a resounding success to me,B. :sete_005:
    Yes...I see how big it is, but that's the amount that we make every time, so I think it's alright. The fact that there was enough to freeze-in tells me that you did it correctly.
    I'm really proud that you gave it a try, and that the recipe worked. It would have been a bit embarassing if it hadn't. :D ha ha.

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Snert for everyone...........

Sjoerd,

I couldn't wait to try it ......The pork is a favorite for winter around here.....
    FOr my Ham soup we use:
    The ham bone left over from a Ham.
    Put water in it and add , cabbage and green beans, and potatoes cubed.......
    We have lots of frozen veggies so I am thinking of adding some of yours to mine .. Hey , thanks again.
    I was afraid to ask........

Now I am hunting for Goodies for christmas recipes.
    I like being different..
    Ps .....I am Polish and my husband is Irish.
    We make a good Stew , huh?

:oops: