SNOWDAY!!!!again.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Feb 18, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We woke up to a 9" snowfall this morning of heavy slippery snow. I got up at 3:00 to get my son off to the airport for a trip to Haiti and the snow had been falling and was still falling then. The snow plow went down the road at 4:10 just as he was getting picked up. Kevin got up at 5:00 to answer the phone after I went back to bed. That was the school calling the day off. He got ready to go plow driveways and had to plow our road with his plow to get down it (which the county frowns upon). I had to kick and shovel my way to the chicken coop. :eek:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some photos from the area that people upload to the news station. This is all around here. The cardinal one and the little dog looking in through the screen are great ones.

http://fox8.com/2014/02/03/pictures-february-weather/

Frank, calinromania, Donna S and 3 others like this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh boy, will the snowfall never end? We got more snow too, but not enough for a snow day. 30 days until spring officially gets here and counting! Hang in there Carolyn!

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

No! No Carolyn! Say it isn't so!

[​IMG]

Froggie

calinromania and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ayep! and we are getting bored with them. We want to see more diversified colors outside. Like maybe 10 shades of green. Like grass, and trees and tomatoes and lettuce and cabbages etc. You know anything but white. This is soo old now.

Kevin had a job to do yesterday and the frost was 24" deep here. Needless to say it took a lot longer to dig the trench than normal. I have never been a big proponent of starting to build a house in the winter and this winter just re enforces my beliefs. NEVER ever would I start a house in Dec. in this part of the country.

Advertisement
  5. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We only went on 2 hr. delay. The schools here have used 9 calamity days and they only get 5. So they will go a few days later in June. All we got was sleet, freezing rain and 1/2 inch of snow.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think this is our 8th snowday and it is getting old!

Kevin is out plowing snow and he just called to say how deep it is in some places. The driveway he just finished had snow deeper than the blade of the skidsteer and the blade is 24" high. The wind was really blowing here last night when this started and within an hour of the start of the snow our road was drifted over...no wonder the driveways are so deep, too.

7. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

We got dumped on with another foot of snow. Had shovel out the huge bank the snow plow left in front of the garage. Our regular plow guy had to work at his regular job, so he got someone else to do his plowing(sigh). Getting ready now to go clear the snow from the barn doors before the next snowfall coming tomorrow.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I forgot to mention the fore cast was 2"-4".

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,..fantastic link,..just seeing the various locations and the height of the snow really hits home,..a picture speaks a thousand words.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep, Bunkie :eek: It was a "wow"! Kevin was out for almost 12 hours cleaning up the driveways and parking lots for his customer list.
    Philip, I was thinking my back yard was getting boring for you all to see the changing seasons and the weather. When I saw that link on the news I thought maybe you all would appreciate the view of those pictures better.

I asked my son how long it took him to get to work this morning and he usually has a 40 min drive on all freeway/highways...it took him 2 hours to get there. I-77 was white and he said it was more like a parking lot than a highway.

12. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I never thought I'd say this on a winter's day ... but...
    "I wish we had more snow!"

This must be the mildest winter ever!

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We are bracing for Blizzard coming Thursday. First freezing rain. I hope they are with amount of snow. but amount of birds eating

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Fabulous link, though I don't envy you all that snow. Check out picture #47 for an amazing splash of color in all the white!

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are getting it as rain. I am feeling for you, though. All the rain in the forecast means an enormous amount of flooding coming up. The frost in the ground is 24" deep and that means no absorption for the rain or melting snow. My M&D live in a flood plains about 5 miles from here... :eek: I am thinking they will be surrounded by the creeks overflowing on either side of them. That hasn't happened in a long time, but it has happened before.

Ronni, the pictures from all over the area really do give you a really good look at what it has been like up here for the last 2 months. I am so done with winter.
    I went back to see what 47 was and here it was the same one I said was 17. as they add pictures the numbering changes. I liked the cardinal one the best and then the little dog looking in through the snow covered screen.