So it's Christmas! How does your country celebrate it?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by songlim18, Dec 25, 2008.

1. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

It's a Sweet Christmas on Orchard Road, Singapore.
    The theme for this year is Candy so the entire street is turned into a Candy Land. 5km of fairy lights stretches from Orchard Road to Marina Bay and will remain lighted from 15Nov08 - 2Jan09.

Towering Christmas Trees in many places including shpping centres and hotels. There are buskers, carolling, dances, mimes, songs by Church Groups along Orchard Road. Shopping centres close at midnight on some days for late night shoppers. Nightly parade of Christmas Floats from Orchard Road to heartland towns. Visitors from other countries can enjoy a complimentary 30 minutes bus ride along Orchard Road to marvel at the beautiful lightings.

Wishing everyone in GardenStew a merry and blessed Christmas!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, dear, we've got nothing like that! Our Christmas lights are more tuned down, and few people make huge displays. I'd love to see more of the lights display, please. I'm certain you'll need an evening walk, songlim. *making big eyes and battering eyelashes wildly*

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh wow!! :eek: Now that's really lovely. :D Wish we had something like that here in Scotland. All we've got is a big Christmas tree, in the village square, that arrives from Norway each year and is lit up with white lights. Most people in our street leave the village and go on holiday or to relatives so everything is very quiet. I hope you've got lots more piccies you can show us Songlim because I'd love to see them.

Merry Christmas to you and your family - have a wonderful day. :stew1:

5. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

for all my friends in GardenStew, I will do that this weekend. :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks Songlim we'll all look forward to that. :stew1:

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah'Glim...Merry Christmas to you and family.

Christmas is imported to holland so it has no real "history" here so to speak.
    We just have presents opened on Christmas eve aor christmas day. The houses are decorated inside and out with colourful lights and things. There are lots of things to buy for children and adults in the town.
    The streets of the city center are bedecked with lights.
    That's about it really.
    The children here are really happy with this custom because that means that they get gifts on two different dates in december.

8. Carol T

Carol T New Seed

Thats lovely Songlim. Our village has a lot of lights. One house in particular which is a theatre really is way over the top with Lights. A good number of houses have lights draped outside as well but nothing like singapore. (I lived there between 68 - 70)

9. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Wow, that must be an incredible place to be a little kid! You'd never see a display like that in my part of the US.

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That looks like a candy wonderland all right. Our next door neighbor has lighted candy canes lining her drive and candle on the walk. I'm afraid ours is limited to an old french horn on the front door and a tree.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Very nice songlim18, I can't wait to see more pictures. Not all people decorate their houses on the outside here it is up to the families. We have businesses that decorate large trees with lights and the cities have lighted decorations hanging up high by the street lights. We decorate inside and out until we get old enough that we can't for worry of falling off of a ladder.

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Wow!!!!! Wonderful Songlim.If we go to Winter Wonderland in Bryan its like that and it use to be very reasonable to go but now it cost to much.Its a place thats been set up but keep adding on to it year after year.Thank you for the beautiful pics.

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I did a little decorating just to get the spirit. Our town square decorates the courthouse and trees with white lights. We have a Christmas parade. And some neighborhoods really go all out decorating. Some will decorate in all white lights, others in multi-colored lights.Some decorate with candy canes and call it 'candy land'. But like Sherry said, it is up to the person, town, neighborhood, etc.
    Your photos are beautiful and I look forward to see other pictures.

14. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

On the 9th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ....

15. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

It is lovely to read what your country does for Christmas. At the outset, I am so sorry for the delayed response. I had postponed the weekend shoot cause we reckon it will be very croweded! To drive into town was almost impossible! Hence we checked into the hotel on 31 Dec 08, head to Orchard Road via train and walked half of Orchard Road. Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    Beginning of Orchard Road, heading towards more lights and decorations.

[​IMG]
    At the big cross junction

[​IMG]
    The road itself has 4 lanes

[​IMG]
    Candy lamp post!

[​IMG]
    Christmas spectacular indeed! Part of a Christmas tree outside Paragon and this is probably the most extravagant decoration in 2008 despite the recession

[​IMG]
    Outside Paragon, an upmarket shopping complex that houses all the branded apparels, watches, leather shoes and bags, etc...

[​IMG]
    Candy Christmas Tree, it turns round and round and sings too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

[​IMG]
    this wreath is located along Scotts Road which is adjacent to Orchard Road.

[​IMG]
    Close up candy!

[​IMG]
    Yummy!

[​IMG]
    Two face wreath. The other side is the girl.