So Sad they didn't return.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well for the last 2yrs we have had Red Headed Woodpeckers coming to our feeders. Last year I posted a few pic's of them with their two young fledglings at our feeders. We were so excited to see them flourishing in our area.
    But his year they have not returned. Maybe they died for some reason. We have had some pretty crazy weather this last year.
    But I am thinking it maybe because our neighbors have continued to cut down all the dead trees they have on their acreage. MAKES ME HOPPING MAD as I know that they are on the somewhat endangered list and prefer dead trees to nest in.
    Plus several of the big dead trees we had left standing on purpose, blew over this last winter in some of the bad storms we had. I hope that they will make their way back to our area and feeders. I sure miss not seeing them. :(

Frank, 2ofus, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tooty, the loss of the dead trees undoubtedly contributed to the woodpeckers' moving on. Be patient and your Redheads will come back, especially if you have feeders.

Tooty2shoes and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

We had three redheads feeding here during cooler weather and we do have a tall dead pine tree with many good size holes that I assume were nest holes. Now that the weather has warmed they just show up occasionally ! Guess they like a change of diet when its hot!

Tooty2shoes and Cayuga Morning like this.