Soaking Peas

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by sharon mc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. sharon mc

sharon mc Seedling

Does anyone know if peas should be soaked for 24hrs prior to planting, please? I'm guessing they might, basing it on the treatment for Sweet Pea flowers? Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. trudy

trudy In Flower

I've never soaked any seeds b4 planting. But I would think it would depend on how hard the seed coat is an how fast you want it to germinate. Try some both ways an see which way works best for you.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have heard and read both yes and no answers to the question of soaking seeds before planting. I also read somewhere that Monkshood seeds have to be soaked for about 3 weeks, in the fridge to prevent rotting, to leach out the germination inhibitor they contain.
    Soaking will speed up germination but if you leave them in the water too long they will rot.

Like Trudy said, try some both ways and see what the results are. And please let us know the results of your experiment if you do it.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have never soaked my peas.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We always soak ours prior to sowing. It's a little ritual here. We put the peas in a glass of water, and then we go out to prepare their growing place.

We take all the dirt out of the little veggie garden, put down a layer of fresh horse dung, and then new soil on top, 15-20 cm thick. We mix in lots of sand where the carrots go, and we sow the day after.

The horse dung provides heat for the seeds. We get lovely, succulent peas, and the carrots do fairly well too. We never manage to save anything. The girls eat it all as it matures, which is why we sow in the first place. :D

7. glendann

In Texas I guess the soil is warmer to start with but we sowed ours in Dec as they do not like hot weather.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D I find it so amusing, Glendann. You wait for the cool weather, and I wait for the warmer. :D

9. glendann

It is funny Droopy.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I've never soaked peas, only beans! ;)

11. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I also used to first soak the peas before planting them. And like Glenda I also wait for cooler weather before sowing them. My cooler weather starts in April.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good evening, Sharon.
    I soak peas overnight sometimes, placing them on a plank above the heater. But I usually let the weather determine whether I soak them or not.
    If it's particularly wet, I like to plant them in pots inside after soaking them to be sure that they do not rot in the ground, or the mice do not get at them.
    But usually I just plant them in situ though, without soaking them at all.

13. sharon mc

sharon mc Seedling

Re: Peas

Hi, thanks to everyone who replied to my query.

I am going to take the advice and try some both ways. The ones I bagan in pots on 15/2 (without soaking) are just starting to come through the soil; that's just over 2 weeks to germinate.

I hadn't heard about soaking bean seeds before but I will from now on because the beans I started on 16/2 haven't come through yet in their pots.

For a gardener, I can be terribly impatient, as regards letting nature take it's course!

Thank You.

14. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I never soak peas either. And I direct plant into cold, damp soil. I do soak other types of seed though tomatoes and Pumpkin/Squash mostly. In a weak Lipton Tea overnight. It does help speed up germination.

15. scarthee

scarthee New Seed

i soaked peas last year and this, and they all seem to have sprouted both in the soil and greenhouse.
    i will try soaking toms and squash seeds on the next batch, i presume it works with most seeds good luck and happy growing 8)

16. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

I did not soak my peas last year, and not many germinated. Also, I didn't soak my sweet peas and only 1 germinated this year...Maybe next time I should!