soap in my pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by ouch, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ouch

ouch New Seed

Hi Guys . My water pump blew up yesterday and dumped its oil everywhere. what's bad is that my pump isn't a garden pump and has real oil in it . I spent two days trying to get it out. I 've gotten most all of it out, but still had a fine layer on the top. I was told to use some dishwashing soap (Liquid)to get rid of the rest of it . I used about a 1/4 of a cup and it worked, but I've since learned that soap and fish dont go together and that it will kill my fish. I have a 2000 gallon pond. Do you think this will kill my fish. it's been about 1 hour and they seem to still be happy and not floating yet.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Soap is definately not good for fish Ouch but I don't think there is much you can do about it now that it's been added to the water in your pond. Much better to have the relitavely small amount of soap though than the oil from your pump. I think that if your fish have survived the explosion, the oil slick and, so far, the soap solution they must be pretty hardy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they suffer no ill effects.

4. ouch

ouch New Seed

Thanks for the reply and the finger crossing, please keep them crossed on both hands, and a prayer wouldn't hurt. I could shoot myself for doing this. I tried to save some money on a pump, and it never crossed my mind about the oil in it. Live and learn I guess. I have a 15 year old koi and about 20 other fish asking me what the hell was you thinking. I added some Pond Start to my pond , so maybe it will help.

5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

What kind of DW liquid did you use? When there are oil spills from tankers Dawn is the official DW liquid used to clean the birds and ducks. I will be offering up special prayers for your fish. May many blessings be upon you and this situation.

Advertisement
  6. ouch

ouch New Seed

Day 2 on soap in the pond. Fish are still kicking and doing well. Thanks for all the prayers and finger crossing. Cool to know there is a forum that is willing to help. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Please keep us updated, ouch, as my thoughts will be with you. I have fish in a small pond also and about 20 frogs have joined them on their own this past summer.

8. ouch

ouch New Seed

Day 3. The soap didn't seem to hurt the fish at all. Happy and well. I think having a 2000 gallon pond, with what little soap that I put in it really didn't hurt anything, atleast not yet. So keep the fingers crossed for about another 3/4 days and we should be in the clear.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So pleased to hear that your fish are surviving well Ouch. :D I think you're right - the small amount of soap in so much water is going to have little or no effect on your fish. I'll still keep my fingers crossed for you though until around Sunday or Monday.

10. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

YAY!!!! Glad everything is fine now.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

soap/fish

:stew1:

I know soap is supposed to be ok for flowers, but never did know about fish..

Glady they are not being harmed.

12. girdhar

girdhar New Seed

Hi,
    I know that soap is not so bad for fishes and help in maintaining the alkalinity of the water which is good for fishes (not in excess ).just be careful about oil as it may choke their gills.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

ouch

Hey Ouch,

How are the fish now????????Have to show my sisters indoor fish if I arent too lazy to up load.
    b

14. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Just noticed this is from last november, but thought I'd add, when I don't like the look of the water in my pond I lay a garden hose so the end is hanging above the pond and let it run there for several hours. Adds some extra oxygenation to the pond, and things on the surface (oil rests in a very thin film) out into the filtering gravel I have my little pond surrounded with. Not too scientific, but my little goldfish seems happy with it.

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Smart

Your very smart Last Summer........

16. Lets Plant

Lets Plant New Seed

Glad to hear that the fish are o.k. Do you have any pics of the 15 year old?