Solar Powered Bird Bath/Fountain Project - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Bird' started by cherylad, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It all started when Toni "made" me buy a solar powered pump. :-D

They were so neat, I ordered two. One is in with the Louisiana Black Irises and doing a great job of keeping the water clean. And it's been nice to hear the water splashing.
    Pump #2 was to be used in the old water well fountain project as a bird bath on the opposite end of the old water pump.
    While waiting on one of my brothers to lend a hand assembling the piping, I started out on my task of making the bird bath part. Looked online and got some ideas and almost just ordered one. What fun is that?? So with a few ideas in my head, I started looking around for stuff to make my own.
    I got lucky and found these stands at 60% off at one of the craft stores. They were so neat, I bought two.

[​IMG]
    stands ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I set the stand in the upcoming fountain's tub/reservoir to see how it would fit. Not very well actually. To keep the water from spraying or splashing out of the tub, the stand would have to be in the middle. I didn't like it. Plus, I'm not sure the birds would come to that part of the yard because of all the commotion. So I dismissed the whole bird bath idea.
    Wait.... Why not still make the bird bath, but make it a stand-alone unit? I already had a stand to hold the "bath" and a stand to hold the solar panel.
    All I had to do is find something to use as the bath. I dug through the cabinets to see what I could find. Jackpot! A glazed ceramic tray that must have been part of a tiered set some time ago because there was a hole already right through the middle!
    Next, step... tubing. The pieces that came with the solar pump ALMOST fit through the hole... just not quite. So I bought some clear vinyl tubing that will work just fine.
    [​IMG]
    tray ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then I needed a reservoir/tub. Got one that I just knew was the perfect size. Brought it home and set up for a test run. Nope... just a bit too small. I was afraid too much water would splash/spray out and burn up the pump. So, back to the store to get the bigger one. It's about 26 inches round and 9 inches deep.
    [​IMG]
    tub ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Now that I had all the pieces... it was time to put it all together.
    Even though the stands were painted, I was worried about rusting. So I spray painted them again (with Rustoleum brand). For extra protection, I figured I give them a coat of clear paint. Clear? Nope... It was more like a watered down white. So I gave them another coat of black paint. That ought to keep the rust away for a little while! :fingerscrossed:

My plan included burying the tub up to the rim. So in-between coats of paint, I cleared out the spot and dug my hole and got the tub situated.

[​IMG]
    buried ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I then needed to clear out more grass a bit further from the tub. Reason #1: I need room for the solar panel stand. Even though the panel came with a good bit of cord, I didn't want to worry about it being mowed over. So I wanted to make sure it could be right next to the bath. Reason #2: I envision the whole thing surrounded by flowers (next year). So I clear out more grass and laid down a thick layer of newspaper to keep the grass/weeds down until Spring (hopefully).

[​IMG]
    newspaper ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Then covered it with mulch.

[​IMG]
    mulched ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Next... to put it all together. I placed a double-deck of bricks in the tub for the stand. Without them, I thought the stand would be too short. Then I filled it about half way with dirt and added water. (Oh yeah... the plan calls for a few bog plants.) Then I put the pump inside a small casserole-like dish and pushed it into the dirt/mud... hooked up the tubing... Worked like a charm!

[​IMG]
    in place ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I set the 2nd stand that will hold the solar panel into position. Then had to figure out a way to hide the cord. I had this cute little bucket that used to hold a citronella candle. I drilled a couple of holes and ran the cord through it (bundling up the extra cord with a rubber band) and then ran it up the stand to the solar panel.

[​IMG]
    hide cord ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    almost ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Next...time to add the bog plants. I had some Louisiana Black Iris that needed to be thinned. And I had gotten some Yellow Water Iris in a trade with the nice man at the resale shop. Plus, come to find out, the Obedient Plant I just got from an aunt loves to grow in the wet conditions.

[​IMG]
    planted ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Almost there... what have I forgotten? Gravel! I didn't get gravel to keep the dirt/mud settled down and to filter the water! So off to town to get a bag.
    And then I just had to do something cute with the little bucket that's hiding the excess cord. So I find this little bunny figurine and and some plastic flowers. This is temporary, because I know exactly what I'd like there. Something to honor my dad's memory. You see, this week was the 26th anniversary of his passing and I know he'd be proud that I was outside building something. I just have to find it now... and you know I'll be posting a picture as soon as I do!

[​IMG]
    complete ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The water was still muddy. But was clearing up. It was time for me to call it a day. I started at 9am and at this point it was around 4pm. Time to sit back and have a cold adult beverage and enjoy the sites and sounds of the my new solar powered bird bath fountain.
    (That is until my brother finally shows up to work on the old well pump fountain. Don't worry. I won't got into that now.)

[​IMG]
    my view ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I'll update with nice clean water photos tomorrow... I hope.
    Who knows... maybe a bird will even come by to check it out!

Frank likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love your birdbath/fountain. Whatchagonnado with the other pump?
    Did you find the tables at HL or Michael's they are adorable.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy I love your new project!! Those stands were a great buy and look exactly right for your garden. Well done you. :D

4. cherylad

Thanks Toni... they were a Michaels. Had about 3-4 different ones that were also cute. But I got these since they had holes already (for tubing). The other solar pump is still with the Louisiana Black Iris. The "big" electric pump I got will go to the "old water well fountain". Then I think I'm done with pumps for a bit!
    :D

Thanks Eileen...I think it will look so pretty with flowers all around. If this heat breaks in time for Fall planting, I may just have to put a few flowers in.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

After adding the pepples, the water cleared up nicely.
    You can see how/where the little pump is set in.

[​IMG]
    water cleared ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

But, I don't think it'll ever stay this clean. I noticed that after the birds are in their splashing around it gets dirty all over again. Oh well... it was built for them, afterall.
    I'll try to get photos of them.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Well done Cherylad, it is beautiful!

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

All I can say is well done Cheryl! I can only imagine the satisfaction when you look out at your creation. I'd bet the birds will marvel at the futuristic technology before their beaks.

8. cherylad

Remember I said I wanted to add something to this area to honor my Dad? Well... I found something that will work. You see... my Dad was an avid fisherman. If he wasn't at work... he was out in the Bay fishing.
    So here it is....

[​IMG]
    Fishing Boy ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And a little closer... he has a fishing pole complete with line and has already hooked one!

[​IMG]
    Fishing Boy ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

toni and Jerry Sullivan like this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well Cheryl what can I say? I thought your fountain bird bath looked great before but now ... it's fantastic!! What a lovely place for the birds to drink and have a bath as well as being simply beautiful to look at. :D

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A perfect choice Cheryl. Hat's off to the 'Countess of Cute-ification'!!

Jerry

11. cherylad

Thanks everyone for all the nice words. It is truly appreciated.
    I have been keeping my eye out for a pretty rock (or something) to use to prop up the solar panel. And I so wish I could put in some flowers. Sigh.
    And I've tried getting photos of the birds splashing about, but they get spooked as soon as I walk out the back door. Time to figure out a "perch" of my own! :p
    Thanks again!

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Awesome!!

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's a terrific way to remember your Dad. Bet he would really like it and the idea of being honored like that.

14. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

A fitting addition to remember your Dad by Cheryl. Did he fish even as a child? I'm sure he would love it.

15. cherylad

Thanks KK, Toni, Frank (and everyone else)...
    I doubt he had a chance to fish as a child. His dad passed away when he was quite young, so he and all of his siblings worked at an early age...around the house and sawmill. He even had to quit school around the 5th or 6th grade to get a "real" job.
    He would get so mad if us kids were just being lazy and always told us to get up and "do something... even if it comes out wrong!"
    So... I haven't been lazy! :-D
    I just wonder if he and mom would approve of the changes around the house?