Some folks just don't get it

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, May 16, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had a neighbor stop by a couple of days ago who commented on our back yard flower gardens being "a jungle". We have native plants and a few roses--all are attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies, as well as providing cover and food for other birds. A toad or two lives under the bird watering station which is supported by stacked pavers.
    Her flower beds are rigid (in my opinion) and most of the plants are of no use to local wildlife.
    backyard flower bed.jpg
    This is part of our "jungle" with mealy blue sage, bamboo grass, salvia greggia, wafer ash, and rue.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Randy's folks have a section of their property where they let the wildflowers have free reign and the neighbor who mows the rest of the property for them has a conniption fit every week because they won't let him mow down all the wildflowers. Like you said, some people just don't get it.

4. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Wow, if your neighbors really want something to complain about or criticize, they should take a look at my garden:chuckle:Personally, i think my garden is beautiful and what i can see of your garden is very beautiful. There are as many different kinds of gardens as there are gardeners...to each his own. If your neighbors continue to berate your garden, i would suggest a reply something like "we all have our differences about what we think is beautiful". This would be a non-inflammatory way of letting your neighbors know their comments are not appreciated, and perhaps they will shut up.

Tooty2shoes, cajuncappy and Frank like this.
  5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I think your garden is beautiful! I wouldn't describe it as a jungle. I know how much care you put into all your flowers. Wildlife definitely prefers that.

Tooty2shoes and cajuncappy like this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My garden would be described as a jungle too Jane but I doubt there's another in the village that attracts so many insects, birds, animals and amphibians. I would hate to have a well kept, sterile kind of garden as it would hold no interest for me at all. Sure I can admire others places but I still much prefer my own with its mixture of cultivated and wild flowers. Your garden always looks lovely to me and to many others here on the forums so keep doing what you're doing and enjoy it to the full.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, thank you all. I admit I was feeling a bit hurt about the "jungle" comment, but I just can't do a formal garden. I love watching the birds and butterflies, meeting them in the morning and evening when walking out to the barn to tuck the hens in for the night, and seeing the different textures and colors.
    After reading your kind comments, I feel a lot better about my informal (to say the least!) gardens. I'll just keep on doing what we are doing and enjoying my "jungle."

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Obviously the neighbor is color blind and can't see the flowers. :shrug: I feel so sorry for those who miss most of the world that they live. :setf_018: We just have to keep the diversity going in our own yards hoping for them to one day see the beauty and to provide for our own connections. Gardeners are up for the challenge :setf_026:and see beauty where others miss it.:snicker:

9. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Our whole yard is kinda jungley and we love it that way and call it that ourselves. We do not manicure our lawn or train our trees. I do not think we have a straight up tree in the yard the hurricanes have them all leaning this way and that. If our favorite spots looked half as good as yours we would be proud indeed.

Tooty2shoes and marlingardener like this.
  10. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Just remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy your gardens and just consider the source of the comments.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like a loose, rambling garden. I'm trying to loosen up mine and give it more of a cottage look.

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

After seeing pictures of your yard, I see no reason for your neighbor to complain. What I see is nicely mowed grass and beautiful flowers. Personally, I would like to have you for a neighbor.

Kay, Tooty2shoes and cajuncappy like this.
  13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My whole back yard is my jungle and I love it. And so do the birds and butterflies. Your garden is beautiful and your neighbor is a snob.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... your garden is beautiful and your neighbor is a snob. I was the same way with comments about my gardens ... I can be very 'touchy' about negative feedback from people like that. But then I decided that it didn't matter to me because I don't garden to please THEM, I garden to please ME (and the wildlife!) Keep up what your are doing Marlingardener, I think it looks FABULOUS!

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You know, I don't think she is a snob. She is just one of those people who say the worst thing at the worst time. Her glass is always half-empty and she doesn't seem to enjoy much of anything. I have no plans of changing garden styles (for one thing, it would be too difficult to re-arrange and re-plant all my jungle foliage!):wobble:

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hubby`s son who mows our lawn says mine is an obstacle course. His is nothing but square hedges and lawn where he asserts his OCD if a weed shows up or one blade of grass gets higher than another. He had a gorgeous flower bed with three 4 ft high Knockout Roses ( not planted by him) a couple of weeks ago in full bloom. Next thing I knew he took the hedge trimmers and zip, zip, all the roses were gone and now they are just ugly squares. His yard is the most boring place in the entire area. There is nothing to look at and nothing of interest. Unless you want to sit and watch the grass grow.