Something is eating my plants!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Yankee In NC, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Yankee In NC

Yankee In NC New Seed

Somethis is eating holes in the Morning Glory leaves and eating holes in the leaves of my Love Lies Bleeding as well as its blossoms.
    What should I be doing?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Yankee In NC's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Yankee In NC's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Slugs and snails will do that. When I see holes in my plants leaves, I go out into the gardens really, really early in the morning to try and catch what is making the holes. Usually, it is slugs. I hand-pick them off. Oh and turn the leaves over 'cause those sneaky slugs like to hide on the underside of leaves.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Mine are like that and it is usually grasshoppers or what Glenda calls sharpshooters. I generally leave it because I have enough morning glories for all of us. I haven't yet found a control for grasshoppers that isn't just as harmful to us. dooley

5. dmouse

dmouse New Seed

Both my grandmother's use to put out cheap beer in shallow sunken dishes for the slugs (wprked great!)and would spray soapy water on the leaves of plants to keep other things off... I haven't had much of a problem myself. My Miricle Grow for my roses seems to keep them free of insects...

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I read on another forum to use non antibacterial lemon dish detergent mixed with water for the grasshoppers dooley.

Morning Glories have a beetle that feeds on them, it is a gold iridescent beetle, sometimes fading to blue.

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I've used the beer method with great results and insecticidal soap on leaves as well. Good luck with yours.