Somewhere to Sit

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Frank, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Somewhere to Sit
    Author: Jane Hollis

Sometimes we gardeners become so obsessed with creating a garden that we forget one of the greatest pleasures of gardening - the chance to sit down in a pleasant spot and enjoy the fruits of our labours! For me, places to sit are very important in a garden. Not only for the practical aspect of somewhere to perch my posterior but also for the effect they have on the overall design of the garden. Seating areas can often act as a focus point in a garden as well as adding subtle structure to a design.

There is no need to restrict seating to the patio or terrace area immediately adjacent to the house. Because these areas are so close to the building they are often in shade for part of the day, which means it is nice to build a seating area in another part of the garden which catches the sun at the time that the patio is in shade. Additionally, a seating area further down the garden from the house usually has a quieter, more secluded feel than one that adjoins the house.

In my own garden we included a separate seating area towards the end of the garden which is bathed in evening sunlight when the patio is enveloped in shade from the house. It comprises a rectangle of paving which is almost enclosed in the sweeping curve of a border, so giving the pleasant feeling of being surrounded by plants. From this point we can enjoy looking at the garden, or by turning slightly look out over views of pasture and woodland.

Be selective when choosing plants to surround a seating area. I like to use plants that are fragrant and those that are pleasant to touch. Rosemary is a good plant for a seating area as you can idly crush the leaves to release its distinctive aroma. My seating area also features French lavender (Lavendula stoechas), catmint (Nepeta) and cotton lavender (Santolina) for similar reasons. I also have a well established phormium which calls you to run your fingers through its impressive foliage.

Plants to avoid too close to a seating area would be those with spines, thorns and prickles which might be unpleasant to brush pass or dangerous to eyes and delicate items of clothing. The same goes for those plants which can cause allergic reactions, such as rue (Ruta graveolens).

There is a wide choice of garden furniture available in a range of materials and finishes. Try to ensure that your seats work well with the materials used in the rest of the garden. Timber is very versatile and can look good in a range of sites from rural to urban and traditional to modern. Metal can be cast iron, wrought iron or tubular - the more ornate styles probably look better near the house, rather than used in a natural setting such as beneath trees where a more simple style would be more appropriate. Plastic chairs, while cheap, will usually look out of place in the rural or traditional garden.

Article at Suite101

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a light oak bench placed in just the right spot to look over the whole garden. My two youngest children bought Ian and I it for our 25th wedding anniversay. Mind you more often than not I use it as a potting bench!!!!!

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That was a great present. At least you found a use for it ;)

So true.

5. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I have a bench which I secured at the front of the house below the window, but it looked kind of isolated, so about 2' away on either side I positioned a 5'x 1.5' wooden trellis planter, which I also secured to the wall, and put a nice shrub in the container. I have a two-seater (small table in the middle) secured to the back wall of the house in the extension patio. At the corner of the back garden an open-backed arbour. Sets of stairs that I made tend to make great seats as well. The advantage of all these items in different locations, allows you to view the garden from various points while sitting in reasonable comfort.

C.J.