Sorry I've been MIA

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It's been a rough couple weeks. :(

I had a bunch of dental work scheduled. Routine x-rays showed a shadow on my lower jaw, and concern that it was cancerous.

The result was a bunch of extractions, bone grafts and implants. I am still not 100% and continue to be in some pain, though back at work because I need the money.

I am still amazed that I've gone from never getting sick or needing to see a doctor to having undergone three separate surgeries in the last three months, with another one scheduled next month! I've lost 10 pounds, (that isn't a bad thing...I certainly have it to lose!) and have seen the insides of more clinics, hospitals, surgery rooms and doctor's offices in this last three months than I think I've seen in my entire life up to this point!

I don't meant to sound whiny...I'm more grateful than I can say that these cancers were caught and dealt with promptly. It's just been a lot to deal with on the heels of the drastic life change I was just barely beginning to process when all this medical stuff started.

I hope to be around more now that this latest is behind me. Glad you're all here for me to grouse to! :D

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So glad to hear from you, Sweetie. Sure hope everything turns out well for you.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good to see you back on here, Ronni.I am so sorry that events have happened like they have for you...but you are right--this is the place to come to "grouse" (I didn't know that word).
    You know we care about you and are interested in your developments.

You have had a lot to deal with here the past few months. Let's hope that things are on the up-swing now.

So good to hear from you.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glad to see you Ronni. That is a lot of happenings within a short while. You are a strong person so I know you will overcome them. Please call back often :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Ronni, Oh my! You have had a time of it lately, haven't you. I am glad that theses cancers have been caught early. I hope you will feel better soon!

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Glad you seem to be showing your strength and taking it all in stride. Your positive outlook is a joy to see, since it must all seemed a bit overwhelming. Work was a blessing for me when we had some tough medical times. Well wishes and positive thoughts are sent you way.

8. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Hang in there Ronni!

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I agree take it easy and deal with one day at a time......

10. Cayuga Morning

How are you doing now Ronni?

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks for asking :)

Much better. Still some pain but nowhere near as bad. Had an issue with some of the sutures that sent me back to the surgeon, but got that taken care of fairly quickly.

The surgery has changed my bite which is the next thing my dentist and the oral surgeon are addressing. I'm getting frequent headaches, and muscle aches and spasms around my jaw area, because my jaw has been used to sitting a certain way for 60 years, and now, suddenly, it's all different! Plus I'll need a couple more bone grafts it looks like, before we're all done.

Still, it's all far better than the alternative. ;)

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Take care. I, too, was just wondering about you.

13. Cayuga Morning

It sounds like you still have a way to go, Ronni, but you are so right, it is better than the alternative! I am sending healing thoughts your way.

14. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad the cancers were caught quickly Ronni and that the treatment is going ahead for you. I know it isn't pleasant but, as you say, much better than the alternative. I hope you'll soon be pain free and that once the surgeries have finished you'll not have any more troubles. Do keep us updated on how you're doing won't you?

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hi Ronni, glad you are back. I hope you get well quickly. Was the mass in your jaw cancer too?

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah it was. They got it all, it's gone and won't recur. Completely coincidental to the other ones. The best the doctor could tell me is that some folks are just more prone to those types of cancers than others. Guess I drew the lucky number on that. :-?

I still have pain and I have a standing weekly appointment at the dentist to address that, and have been back to the oral surgeon a couple more times. I'm very much a work-in-progress, and the way the dentist put it is that I have about as much road in front of me as I do behind me, before this is a wrap.

Good thing I'm a stoic sort! ;)