Sorry to have been a stranger...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Kiasmum, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Hello my gardening friends.I'm sorry not to have been around for a while but I wanted to get as many other things completed as I could by the time I had the surgery to remove the post-gas bubble cataract.Knowing that my sight was going to be compromised again for a while and also not being allowed to lean forward for extended periods of time I had to get a shift on and spending a lot of time on the 'net wasn't conducive to productivity.

Soooo,I had the surgery on Friday morning last week(10th April).I was first on the list for a change and no sooner had Mark delivered me to the day-surgery unit I was straight into the form-filling and question answering,measuring and weighing so by 8.55 I was on the trolley having my anaesthetic.The next thing I knew it was 10 past 10 and I was awake in recovery. My surgeon came to say that everything had gone very well and with no problems or complications :D.Apart from being a bit sleepy I was able to have my tea and toast well before 11 and Mark was able to pick me up before 1pm. For all my other ops I have been last on the list and didn't ever get home before 6pm so this was a lovely change.

The eye pad came off on saturday,no bleeding and minimal discharge.I still have the double vision(but is normal after this surgery anyway) but already I have much better vision in my left eye than I did early on Friday morning! Which is a vast improvement from just about being able to see my hand in front of my face...and my Mother-in-law wondered why I was grumpy when she rang last week...Mark had to explain that she'd be grumpy too if she was practically blind in one eye...

I am accepting the fact that the double vision might never go, but now that I know that it can be sorted with the help of the Orthoptists I am OK with it. It might need some tinkering but I know that the wonderful staff will be there to help me for as long as it takes.

Unsurprisingly,I have done absolutely nothing in my garden this year.No seeds,no greenhouse stuff,no pruning or trimming away dead stuff,nothing....The only plan we have is to turn over our never-very-productive raised beds to meadow turf to encourage more bees and wasps and the good insects into the garden.This also takes the pressure off Mark and his less than good back as he now works away from home 4 days a week and the last thing he needs to do is to have to keep the garden under control as well.

I have managed to get a few pictures of some of my spring flowers and as my surgery was put back a week we managed to get to a concert in London on Good Friday so when I get round to developing them I will post some of them. Its good to be back now I will need to put an hour or two aside to catch up...

Karin.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh you've been missed!! I'm so glad everything has gone so well for you and that you shouldn't have to suffer with double vision for much longer. I'm off for a short break but will catch up with how you're progressing when I get back. Until then take things easy and look after yourself.

Kiasmum likes this.
  4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

So glad your back and feeling good again.I'd be grumpy to if I could not see well. Happy your surgery went well.

Kiasmum likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

So glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you are on the road to recovery.Can't wait to see your pictures :)

Kiasmum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I am SO glad you're recovering well Karin, and I too am looking forward to seeing those pictures.

And as for your garden, right now your priority is taking care of YOU. :heart: Your garden isn't going anywhere, and will still be there when you're able to work on it!

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What welcome news! Your whole family must be so happy for you, as are we here on the Stew!

Kiasmum likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Welcome back, K.
    What a good report you had this time. I cannot even begin to imagine what a tough time you have had...but the future seems pretty good for you now.
    It doesn't matter if you have no gardening stories to tell--it will be great chatting with you about other things.
    Yes meid--welcome back. Sincerely glad you posted this today.

Kiasmum likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Welcome back and I'm so glad the surgery helped. Especially nice that the Doctor's are still able to help with your vision.

Kiasmum likes this.