Spider Bonnie not having babies

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Bluewing0, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

I have had my Bonnie spider for 6 or 7 yrs, but for some reason it refuses to have ANY babies :rolleyes: I have other spiders and they have had babies, but not this one!
    This is the care it's getting as well as the others....

Bright light with some direct western sun, snug in the pot, watered usually once a week if dry, or close to dry, with a little bit of fertilizer added to the water.
    It was also re-potted last spring up another inch in pot size, poor thing was almost roots in the pot and hardly any soil :'(

I even had it hanging outdoors most of last summer in a semi shaded area, still nothing :rolleyes:

Any tips for getting Bonnie babies :p

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Bluewing0's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I worked for a florist once and this happens quite often. Sometimes there isn't both "sexes" in the pot and you can't get babies.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

It might be that you are taking too good care of it. Providing the perfect conditions for the plant making it feel like it doesn't have to move anytime soon. My grandmother had one that never put out plantlets. She had 3 pots of them all with 4 starts. 2 of the 3 pots produced tons of plantlets after only 1 year where one of them never did after 5 years. All of the starts came form the same plant.

Try stressing it out and see if it will reproduce. Don't fertilize it, skip a week or two watering it or something like that, maybe move it to lower light.

5. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Thanks gardenmama :-D

As far as I know, there are no female, or male spider plants, it's the flowers I beleive that have the male and female parts. There are at least 5-6 plants in the pots, so you would think ONE of the plant would send out a runner and make me happy!

Thanks fish_4_all :-D

I did just that. I tried stressing the plant by letting the soil dry out until it wilted making the leaves turn a whitish color (not really a good idea though) and also banging the side of the plastic pot several times on a counter, hard even, lol, still nothing, grrrr. I have seen photos of this spider with tons of babies, mine seems VERY defiant & stuburn!

I guess all I can do is try hanging it outdoors again when it's warm enough and hope that will stir something up! Sigh :'(

Advertisement
  6. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

Mine gets tons of flowers and babies but I always have the brown leaf tips that drive me nutty. Your plant looks very happy and healthy.

7. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Thanks carolo43 :-D

I guess I'm lucky as far as brown tips, or at least my plant is, lol, and I have hard-water, one of a few reasons brown tips can happen :(