Spring Is In The Air

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

... but it hasn't quite sprung yet. It's still cold and forecast says frost and snow coming in a week's time. Well, that's a long way off so the weather might change its mind again by then.

We've got flowers.

Our darkest hellebore is blooming:

[​IMG]

The veggie patch is still occupied by my mother's bulbs. It has never looked prettier though:

[​IMG]

Iris reticulata "Katharine Hodgkin":

[​IMG]

Hepatica transsilvanica "Eisvogel" (that's Ice Bird in English):

[​IMG]

The stable cats Tigger and Eeyore (Tigergutt and Tussi in Norwegian) are sort of blooming too. She's less than half of Tigger's size:

[​IMG]

Have you heard the jokes about a horse owner's equipment and a horse owner's car? I'm afraid it's true and not just a joke.

My cupboards:

[​IMG]

My car:

[​IMG]

My middle daughter changed her hair colour again. I should start a serial thread on her hair colours. She's had red and green (for Christmas), pink, purple and grey, ara parrot colours, rainbow (I'm serious, red on top and all the way through to violet at the end.) Here's what she looks like now:

[​IMG]

And that's all for now. I'm going to decorate for Easter. My chickens and eggs need air.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well miss, it may not yet be sprung, but it looks like it is more than ready. You may as well adopt the philosophy to eat, drink and be merry...for tomorrow you freeze.

The Helleborus looks smashing doesn't it...and all those snow bells...oh my goodness. I wish that I had just half that many.

An interesting note about the Hepatica transsilvanica 'Eisvogel'--We have that same word here, "eisvogel", except we spell it IJsvogel. The 'ei' and the 'ij' are pronounced the same here. and the literal translation of the word parts is the same as well...however an IJsvogel is known in English as a "kingfisher". Words are interesting, aren't they.

Here is a Dutch link to some bird nest cams down here. This one is of the kingfisher. Have a look at some of the short vids over to the right.

Interesting contrast between cupboard and car. hahaha. in the summer my garden house looks like the back of your car. For instance I have to keep different types of trousers and socks as well as the bee outfits and different shoes and wellies in the garden house. Each task requires its own clothing it seems. hahaha.

That hairstyle of your daughter is remarkable. It sort of reminds me of our kingfisher's plumage.

Thinking back to your auto's trunk---You are seriously in need of more space...perhaps you could invest in a trailer to pull around behind you. ROARRRRR:smt044

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    bunkie likes this.
  4. Droopy

I'm going to eat, drink and be merry as soon as I've managed to find my house behind all the stuff and dust that's been gathering through winter. :D

Those snowdrops are only half of what's out there. I have some myself and my mother has a lot in the other veggie patch and in open bags of soil underneath the plum tree.

Yes, words are interesting! Maybe Eisvogel is a kingfisher bird in German too? *checking* Yes, it is! I didn't know that but now I do. Amazing what might be learned here on the Stew.

You forgot the link.

I haven't got a trailer hook on my car. If I had that might still not be an option considering the winding, narrow lanes I drive. :chuckle: Judging by your own selection of garments you might consider a trailer yourself. :smt081

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Everything looks great Droopy! Love the pics too! That hair! :D

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Ty bunkie. :D Yes, that hair! I wonder what she'll be up to next.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Happy to see spring has sprung for you Droopy! That Hellebore is absolutely gorgeous! I really MUST get myself some of those :)

Droopy likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

9. Droopy

Ty Netty. Yes, you must! They're easy to grow, start early and bloom for a fairly long time too.

Thanks for the link, Sjoerd. Those little birds are so pretty. I wish I could see one in real life sometime.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No thanks necessary, Droo. They really are lovely. I see that on the live cam, there has been a female in the burrow (cam 2) most of the morning. I am hopefully waiting for an egg.
    BTW--there are birds in some of the other cam boxes at the moment--owls, peregrine falcon, storks...there is even a cam of the bird feeders.
    It is such a pleasure to watch them.