Springtime Work In The Lottie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

compost.jpg

This series of foto's began back at the end of march/beginning of april and continued for several days.
    I shall begin by the beginning with this update posting-- The first thing that needed to be done this year was to empty the compost bins. Do you see that compost in the wheelbarrow? Man, it just doesn't get any better than that. It was slightly moist and looked and felt like dirt. I was well chuffed with all this fantastic stuff. Thirteen wheelbarrows of compost came out of this bin and the dalek-one. It was enough to cover our veggie plots as well as refill the greenhouse.

Now then, as the bride shovelled the compost out, I went over to the veggie plots and began peeling the mulch back and would take the full wheelbarrows over and dump them on the waiting quadrant patches.
    comp2.jpg

The work was not completed in one day, as after rolling-back the mulch, then what weeds that there were had to be schoffeld and taken back to the empty compost bin and that old bin needed to have the pool-liner replaced around the wire mesh cage. I think that the old pool liner was perhaps 15 years old. It was beginning to become weak and it had suffered more than a few strimmer bites through the years.

At any rate, moving along--You can see here in the next foto that this patch got a nice, thick layer of compost. The spuds will go in here.
    comp3.jpg

So then, we took it one quadrant at the time, emptying the compost from the big bib, the dalek and supplementing with a bit of council compost. The further I went, the better it looked.
    comp4.jpg

Here, you can see the results of a day's work.
    comp5.jpg

We took a little break in the composting of the plots to do a different type of work--you know, to exercise a different bit of the anatomy. Here you can see that we have cleaned-up the strawbs. All the dead or old leaves removed, the patch weeded and some cow manure pellets added and scratched-in. Then the whole bit was watered in liberally.
    strawbs.jpg

Then it was time to plant the Broad beans, followed by the spuds.
    I pulled some furrows in the plot with my trusty "hand plough". By now most of you know that I then sink holes in the bottom of the ditch with a bulb-planter and the seed potatos then go in there and I slowly fill the trench in over a period of days/weeks. In the following foto you can see the hills beside the deep furrows. the soil is sprinkled with a bit of bone meal and there in the distance are the broad beans. The furrow-making tool and the Frisian hole maker tools are visible on the foreground:
    spuds.jpg

Perhaps you can make out the potato types that I planted this year:
    spuds2.jpg

This was about it for this posting. The mulch was put in the bottoms of the compost bins and as the season goes on, there will be green weeds and other refuse that will go on top.

As you can see, the season is really in its infancy here and we are still planting and placing our seeds on the bedroom window sill at home. This year, more than ever I am so anxious for things to get going. In the park near our home one can see that the trees and shrubs are finally beginning to green-up.

Here's wishing you all a good and pleasing season in your gardens.

Odif, hummerbum, Growingpains and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your compost looks fantastic and will give a good start to all your plants without a doubt. Our three daleks give us loads of the gold stuff that I couldn't do without as it's such good quality. Those strawberries are nice and tidy and, I'm sure, will produce a great harvest for you again. I do like to see your lottie and the progress you're making. :)

hummerbum, Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Eileen--Glad that your daleks are working as well. The strawbs already have a couple of blooms.
    Have you got things planned for your garden this year? I hope the weather improves soon, it is pouring with rain over here at the moment.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. eileen

We have the rain here too Sjoerd. I hope it clears away soon as we have 7 fruit trees that really have to get planted out before they leaf up. They are in large, deep containers at the moment until we clear a big enough area for them. Two plum trees, two apple, two cherries and a pear. If we don't get them into the ground soon they'll have to stay where they are until the go dormant again at the end of the year. Other than that we're not planning to do too much else although I may add some new plants to the front garden.

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wow your earth is really black (compared to mine) but it is all looking super good!! :) :)

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

EILEEN--Yeah, I saw that you did on the Gardeners' World weather segment last night. It is dry here at the moment, and so I may pop out to the lottie on my way to give one chap some Cobra bean seeds and to have tea with another family. There has to be time for socializing too, don'tcha know.

Something else--will you use mycorrhizal fungi powder when planting your fruit trees? Is it widely available over there?

Thanks ISLAND--it is what we call, "veengrond". Very peaty, I guess that you'd say.

hummerbum and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I always look forward to your posts from the allotment Sjoerd! There is always so much to do and you are always ahead of me here ... you remind me of things I need to do!
    I am not looking forward to the hard work involved in 'harvesting' my compost, but it is always SO worth it. I do hope mine looks as rich and wonderful as yours!
    Weather here has been odd, but I think its finally time I can get my peas planted.

9. eileen

I don't normally use the fungi powder Sjoerd but I may this time around as the I want the trees to establish quickly. I just hope Ian is fit enough soon, after his operation, to be able to dig holes for the trees to be planted up.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see, Eileen. The fungi may help then to get going and establish quickly and better. If you ever come over this way, I hope that I can talk you into bringing some with you.
    Wow, Digging is indeed the worst part. The holes must be so wide and deep. Fingers crossed that Ian will be fit really soon.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTY--Thanks so much. I am really glad that you like my posts. You are right about harvesting compost--it is hard graft, but oh, so good to have. I really enjoy making compost.

EILEEN--I see what you mean about using the fungi stuff. It may well be a good idea to get your trees off to a good start. I have always wanted to try it, but cannot find it over here.
    I hope that Ian will soon be on the mend. don't let him do too much too early.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. eileen

I order mine from Amazon Sjoerd but it's rather expensive - at least I think it is. It's around £8.50p (about ten euros) for just 360g that's why I rarely use it in the garden.
    Ian is doing fine but still has a few weeks to go before he can do any heavy work.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Everything look so good! Always like to be in your lottie, it looks so perfect! :)

The weather seems to be crazy here too! It is still raining like crazy, not everyday but when it rain it rain!

[​IMG]
    Rain, rain! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    More rain ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
    These photos were taken awhile back.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there KK--Those are amazing foto's. Is that rain inside or out?
    I realize that it almost cannot be indoors, but that area looks like a fancy living room without furniture. It seems like I see some curtains there at the back of the foto.
    Well, inside or not--your home looks lovely.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Fantastic looking compost Sjoerd and a big money saving supply you had,..bags of compost are not cheap,..its amazing how everything in the compost heap breaks down so fine.

Looks like you both had lots of work from start to finish and the garden looks nice and neat,..the strawberries healthy as well,..nice to stand back and see what you both have achieved :like:

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Awesome work S.

Sjoerd likes this.