Sprucing up a Bathroom...Help!

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by opkpropmgr, Dec 30, 2011.

1. opkpropmgr

opkpropmgr New Seed

I manage an apartment community and our bathrooms are...well...lackluster. I need some help with something that's fairly inexpensive and can quickly transform the space. We're thinking paint and a glass backsplash, but are lost when it comes to color. Help!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from opkpropmgr's Garden )

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You should probably stay with neutral colors, light browns, off whites, creams, different shades of gray. You might be able to use very pale green, blue or yellow but very pale. If the renter already has orange towels and decor, they won't be likely to want an apartment with a blue bathroom, I like strong colors but a lot of people don't. ;)

Have you thought about working out a system where the renter can choose the color? You could offer a few choices for them to select from so you don't wind up with black or silver metalic walls or red and purple stripes that can be difficult to repaint later.

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Since the basin and the countertop seem to be a deep cream color, go with a two-shades-lighter cream color for the walls. Still neutral, but warmer than white.
    Replace the "spotlight" over the mirror with something that has more light bulbs and less of a glare. This one is inexpensive:

http://www.lightingdirect.com/kichl...room-fixture-from-the-bath-collection/p844366

Leave the big mirror--it makes the space look larger, and people love big mirrors!

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Maybe a dash of decorative tile, like around the top? Just to add some color and "separation".

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like the big mirror too, makes the space appear bigger. But yes, the room seems cold. I like the idea of a cream color on the walls either lighter than the sink or very slightly darker. Also is there a molding around the mirror? If not, I would add a wood molding the color of the floor to warm the room up. Depending on the style of the house, I might consider adding bead board painted white on the bottom 1/2 of the wall, and the cream above. Or vice versa. It would give the bath some visual interest. Good luck!