Started my Container Ponds

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I saw a photo of Toni's Black Gamecock Louisiana Iris and just had to have one. I had the perfect container. Did some reading up on them and found a place online to order some. This is first attempt at any water gardening. I'm excited about trying something new! Hope it works out as planned.
    I ordered the plants online from TexasWaterLilies.com
    (Got excellent service by the way)

[​IMG]
    Water plants arrive ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Black Gamecock ready to plant ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

After a few discussions with the supplier (and Toni) I learned that I was to put them in a pot with soil and then top it off with rocks.

[​IMG]
    Black Gamecock planted ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And then place that pot in the container and gently fill with water.

[​IMG]
    Black Gamecock placed in water ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Viola! A container "pond"!
    I also added a Venezuelan Poppy. This one was an extra from the supplier (I ordered one for another project).

[​IMG]
    Venezuelan Poppy with Black Gamecock ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Thanks again to Toni for the inspiration and help!

:smt023

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wow, those are great looking plants. Guess I will have to check them out too, I want more for the front yard next year. And I have just started looking at their website and have a wish list in my head already, will have to start collecting pots from the thrift store.

Your pot is really pretty and perfect for the project. That is going to be a gorgeous display when they start blooming.

4. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

I love that!! Im going to try it...

but how do you keep the mosquitos for laying thier eggs in the water?

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi Toni...

My best friend's husband gave me that pot a couple of years ago. I originally brought it inside, but it didn't match my decor. So I thought I'd just place a potted plant it in outdoors. That worked for a little while but wasn't too bright with the sometimes standing water.
    So when I saw your Louisiana Iris, I thought to myself "That would be perfect for that container!"
    The plants looked really healthy to me... so hopefully they'll produce flowers as gorgeous as yours!

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pinkie, You can get either Mosquito Bits or Mosquito Dunks to put in the pots. They are the same things recommended for water ponds, they don't hurt the plants or any birds that might come to drink water from the pots but they do kill any mosquito larvae that try to hatch.