Starting a new garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Brian1985, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Brian1985

Brian1985 Seedling

Hey guys I just moved to a house with no garden. What are some tips you guys have for starting a garden from scratch? I mean I’ll be cutting up the sod and everything. Also when do you plant rhubarb?? Spring? Thanks guys.

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

My advice is to don't start out by planting something exotic, (not suited for your climate). Always go with what you see successfully growing in other gardens.

4. Jo Parrott

Jo Parrott New Seed

Watch the sun exposure and wind patterns---and how well water drains after a rain. I like raised beds and my edges are mostly cinder blocks. You want good soil-- lots of organic matter and good texture.Many years ago when I managed a retail greenhouse in Louisiana my mentor always told me that if you want to grow anything above ground you first need to give it everything good BELOW the ground! and that is very true. Nothing can grow well without great soil. Good luck- it is so exciting to watch things grow! Some photos of your property would be great.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Rhubarb is early spring.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gurney's has a heat tolerant Rhubarb KangaRhu from Australia. I have some on order, should be here later this month. It has been developed for warmer parts of the world and for the last several years our winters have been non-existent .

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020