Starting new water feature

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by FriendLee, Apr 1, 2006.

1. FriendLee

FriendLee New Seed

My husband has an acute aversion to mowing lawns and his idea for the huge patch of land in front of our recently built cottage is to turn 90% of it into a pond. Of course we know nothing about ponds!

The 2nd problem is that we live in Kerry in South West Ireland. Pond supply shops are not terribly big down here. Does anyone know of any large suppliers in Ireland. We're going to need a whole lot of pond liner and I dont know wnere to source the stuff or what kinds there are. Thanks for any advice.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi FriendLee. Welcome to GardenStew. :D

I get all my pond supplies from: http://www.pondlinersdirect.co.uk

I don't know if they would make deliveries to your area but you could always give them a ring or e.mail them and ask. I find them VERY reliable and compared to other suppliers) very reasonably priced. Nice delivery drivers too which is a bonus. :)

4. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

Hi FriendLee . Try Advanced Butyl Systems Ltd.
    Address Kilmullen, Portarlington . Co Laois.
    Email is info@advancedbutyl.ie
    You should be able to get any size with no joins or sticky tape , 8) Bugs

5. FriendLee

FriendLee New Seed

Thanks for the advice. Will phone them nearer the time. Its on the back burner for a bit whilst I rob a bank to pay for the top soil. Boy do I hate this being-an-adult stuff.

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Good luck on your pond!

I have two small ones, well more like large hole! HA!

I have to do some work in them soon, too. I have to change the liner because the guy who orignally dug the one used just reg ol' plastic and its sprung leaks all over the place. So I have to dig everything out and lay out a new liner THEN plant everything back! >sign< Guess his mom didnt tell him, "If you do it right the first time, you wont have to do it again!"

Good Luck!

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Be sure to do some research on the amount of time and money it takes to maintain a water feature like a pond - you may decide to just go with making that grass into a rock garden or collection of self-caring shrubs and bulbs instead.

Both of the people I know who have ponds like how they look but endlessly grumble about keeping them clean, cleaning the filters, buying pond supplies, keeping mosquitos out of them, herons and other critters eating their decorative fish from the pond, wild birds bringing in leeches with them, etc... I'll just go with a birdbath, myself, or a small fountain if it's my choice, which leaves more room for plants. 8)

8. thesecretgarden

thesecretgarden Seedling

I have a medium large pond about 10ft. wide and 20ft. long. This one has my fish and I have to keep netting over it to keep out the racoons and long legged birds who love to eat them. I can only have lily pads in this one and if I had to do it again I might forgo the fish. I put a smaller pond in without fish and it is filled with lots of plants and bottom grass plants. It is only a couple of years old, but it has brought the frogs back and dragon flies that could not get into the big pond anymore. Also my tree frogs came back to the small one. The big pond has a filter system, it's quite intense, but I have never drained this pond in 9yrs. and it stays nice because of the filter system, but you have to clean the filters all the time.

Ponds are nice, but it is true they can give you a run for your money when it comes to upkeep. Both of mine have liners and they were 50mil, quite thick.

By now you've probably already put one in or not, cause I'm kind of late on this topic.... :rolleyes: