Stop feral cats from using plant pots as a litter box?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by travelingbooklover, Apr 16, 2008.

1. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

I wasn't sure where to post this. I have a problem with feral cats using some of the big planters along the walls of my terrace as their litter boxes. We don't have a USPCA here so I don't know what to do. These are very mean, very beat up, mangy animals. I have tried scaring them off by yelling and waving my arms around (looks very impressive I am sure) but some stand their ground and hiss. I have tried sprinkling hot peppers on the soil, doesn't bother these tough critters. I don't want to use anything that would hurt the soil or (as much as I detest and yet feel sorry for) the cats. I am so sick of people taking in pets and then abandoning them. I have seen two that were obviously once someone's family member. Uh-oh, better stop before I get on a rant about that. Any suggestions?

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Please, please, please, do not use hot pepper in any form to ward of these animals. If it gets in their eyes or any other innocent animals eyes they will literally claw them out to get rid of the burn. Try moth balls, they hate the smell.

4. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

Do you use mulch? If you do use the largest you can find. I leave sticks in my beds and pinecones. they hate them. I don't think you have pinecones where you are but sticks might work. I know it's not the best looking but if you break them up a bit it will help. Hopefully!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have heard pecan shells or the shells of other nuts will keep them away as it hurts their paws to walk on.

There are dog and cat rescue groups all over the country, see if there is such a group in your city and contact them. Sometimes they will bring out humane traps to catch them.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Fresh orange peel or lemon peel might work too. I've used that on several occasions.

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Yes, I forgot, they do not like the feel of pine straw, and they also do not like to dig in it. It is a wonderful mulch.

8. travelingbooklover

Thank you for the suggestions. I wish I could find pine straw here. I am going to look for larger mulch and see if that works and try the orange and lemon peel. I wish there was a group here in Kuwait that would trap them and find them homes but there isn't.

9. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

Maybe you could start something. It has to begin with one person who is caring enough to try. This may be a good chance for you to get to know others in the area. There may be people that want to do something too but don't know where to start. Something to think about.

10. travelingbooklover

They do have one organization here, a great one called PAWS but they have their hands full. They have been trying to create more awareness but it seems to be an uphill battle. Unfortunately, animals are not treated very well here. They have found many camels and horses, hobbled and left to die in the desert, with their throats slit. You would think this would cause a huge uproar, it didn't. Animals in "pet shops" are caged in containers way too small for them without food or drink. The number of feral cats is astounding. PAWS does do their best with very limited resources. They offer training and information and very few take them up on it. I am allergic to cats so I can't help in the shelter other than to donate financially. They really do try, they are always asking for adoptive or foster families for the cats and dogs that they have. They have taken in a lot of very abused animals. Until the local attitude towards animals change, there won't be much of a change for animals in this country. It is very sad.

11. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

This is very sad! I'm so sorry for your plight! I wish I could do someting to help. I volunteer around here since I'm not in a very good place financially to help. I have a great job but the pay isn't so great.
    I do donate to a lot of agencies like Sierra Club, Wilderness Society and a couple of others. I don't think I can squeeze any more in.
    Well, at aleast there is PAWS there.

12. travelingbooklover

Sierra Club and Wilderness Society are both great. When I was helping to write petitions to protect a forest near our SC home, they were both great resources. I wish I wasn't allergic, I would be a foster mom to some animals here.

13. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

There are rescue organizations that will come to your property, trap the cats, sterilize them and bring them back happier, and healthier. Most even vaccinate for rabies. They charge for the service but HUNDREDS less than if you were to do it yourself! Sterilized cats are much calmer and much less aggressive. They'll automatically stop much of the behavior you hate. It won't make them friendly, but it will take the nasties away. Depending on where you live, rescue groups charge 'about' $80 to $100 for this service... Keep in mind they bring the cats back to their familiar turf. So you can't get rid of them, but you sure can make a huge difference in them.

14. travelingbooklover

I aqm not in the States and there is not a rescue organization here that will trap them. I am not going near the cats, they are very feral and hiss so trapping them myself and bringing them to a vet is not an option.

Cajunbelle- I was looking for solutions and came across this warning about mothballs on GardenWeb- Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your own garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way.

I am looking for large mulch and plants that cats dislike (but will not harm them). Rue, pennyroyal and lavender were all suggested.

15. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Try planting some catnip, if you can't beat them join them! Also they have grasses designed for furry friends and they grow fast. Put them slightly away from your other plants.I also heard they don't like to walk on certain things like pine needles/cones, aluminum foil, chicken wire, weeding fabric.If you grow something they like they may leave your other stuff alone.

16. Delly

Delly In Flower

I have always used whole moth balls in my planting beds and planters to keep unwanted animals out of them, you have to replace them after rain but it does not hurt them and they don't like the smell!